The Official RONR Q & A Forums

signing minutes

rbk

On 6/30/2022 at 4:51 PM, Richard Brown said:

RONR doesn’t really answer that question. I suppose on minutes that are being emailed or distributed or stored online it is perhaps sufficient, but if there is a hard copy of the minutes the original should actually be signed in person by the secretary. 

Even if there is only an online copy, they could be signed digitally using one of the available digital signature programs. Whether they need to be signed that way is another question.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, rbk said:

RONR (12th ed) 48:7 says minutes "should be signed." If Secretary Duffy had only typed her name on the minutes as shown in 48:8, would that count as a signature?

RONR provides to answer to this question. Personally, I would say this is sufficient, unless the assembly has adopted rules providing otherwise.

Unless your society has a problem of people creating fake sets of minutes, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:51 AM, rbk said:

Generally, how are matters resolved when RONR does not clearly answer a question?

Such matters are then resolved by the assembly's rules or customs, or by the assembly's decision on a matter in a particular case.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:51 AM, rbk said:

In this specific case, can the secretary decide what counts as a signature on the minutes?

Yes, I think so, unless the Secretary has been instructed otherwise by the assembly in this matter.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.