The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee summaries

Tomm

On 7/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, Tomm said:

I believe that committees don't actually produce Minutes but only Summaries.

I'm trying to find within RONR where that is specified and where Summaries are not required to be approved!

Yes, this is correct so far as RONR is concerned. Formal minutes are not needed since the committee's reports serve as its record, but the committee may "keep a brief memorandum in the nature of minutes," which I expect is what you mean by a "summary."

"In small committees, the chairman usually acts as secretary, but in large ones and many standing committees, a secretary may be chosen to keep a brief memorandum in the nature of minutes for the use of the committee." RONR (12th ed.) 50:24

The memorandum about which @Josh Martin speaks does not require formal approval, as would be the case of the minutes of an assembly, since the memorandum is really just a working paper and not an official publication of the acts of the committee.

Edited by Rob Elsman

On 7/22/2023 at 2:30 PM, Rob Elsman said:

The memorandum about which @Josh Martin speaks does not require formal approval, as would be the case of the minutes of an assembly, since the memorandum is really just a working paper and not an official publication of the acts of the committee.

Agreeing with @Rob Elsman, if that's what you mean by Summary, it's just notes taken by the secretary and saved.  No formal approval is required, since this is not in any sense a formal record.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.