The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What can creation of a Rules Committee do to help bring order to an organization?

Catharine Littlefield

I am a part of an organization under a larger umbrella organization, and totally subject to its rules unless it has bylaws of its own, which is does not.  Even if it did, those bylaws could not be in conflict with the higher level rules.

There is a long story as to why, but it is not germane to what I want to ask.  Suffice it to say that Officers do not know the rules.  They are either ignorant of the rules and too lazy to learn them, or they are breaking rules to assume more power for themselves. 

The main source of power within our structure is an Executive Committee, but this is the first time in almost twenty years it has been properly elected through our precincts, so we have no ongoing example to follow.  The new Executive Committeeman do not know the rules either.

In short, a group of us has formed who are concerned and want to get the group to operate under the rules.  Which means teaching EVERYONE the rules, including Roberts Rules at our meetings.  We know it won't be easy, and we do not expect automatic success.  Our first idea is to introduce a motion to create a Rules Committee.  Here it is:

Motion for the Purpose of Familiarizing All Members with the SCGOP Rules

I move that the XXXX County Executive Committee establish a Standing Committee on Rules and Bylaws for the purpose of familiarizing current and future members of our Party with the SCGOP Rules that govern us;  that the committee shall be comprised of no more than one volunteer from each precinct with basic knowledge of SCGOP Rules or a willingness to learn them, and who are not currently officers of the County Party; that the committee be chaired and members selected by a sitting County Committeeman of who holds no other County office or other standing committee chair; and that the XXXX County Chairman may have a seat on the Rules Committee ex-officio.

Does this seem a good first step?

It will be very hard to pass, I admit.  They have already created five new officers, with a vote (in direct violation of the rules)  As we debate it at a meeting this week we need to describe definite tasks it can undertake to help.  One I assume, is to begging establishing bylaws.  What would be the other tasks that could be assigned?  Offering an opinion on the "legality" of future motions or actions?  Training sessions in breakout meetings?

I need our most compelling arguments.

BTW, our officers will be saying they ARE following the rules.

I would suggest that the first step be to arrange for an educational session / workshop on the rules for the entire committee. This would, ideally, be led by a professional parliamentarian (so that you are actually educated on the rules really say and mean). You do not need to create a committee to do that - just make a motion to have an educational workshop led by a professional parliamentarian (if you wish, you can add details regarding the date and time, location, duration, maximum budget, etc). 

The Rules Committee would not normally have the power to do any of these things itself; it would only be able to make recommendations to the County Executive Committee, so why not do it directly?

The Officers do not acknowledge that they are in almost perpetual violation of the rules.  My concern is that coming from people with NO foundation in the rules, a workshop would require a big time commitment.  Just RONR, much less the State Rules that govern is massive.

Our thought was that a committee would get the idea of the rules on the floor on an ongoing and incremental basis.  In this particular situation, with the Rules Committee being recognized for a report at each meeting, there is the opportunity to get good suggestions out there.

As an example, they think they are following RONR by having an agenda, Minutes, Old business, new busines, adjourn, etc.  But they do not do proper Motion and Debate procedure.  Never have.  Motion is one person making a motion and then everyone attacking at once.  Name calling, questioning of motives, interruptions, etc.  We thought the first order of business would be the rules committee suggesting a quick summary document of the rules for debate to be sent to each member before the next meeting with the intent of practicing that style at that meeting.

A step by step approach suggested and lead by Rules Committee or an expert they bring in.

We are trying to sneak all of this in past a hostile set of Officers, without a major head to head battle that turns off attendees who want unity and are sick of fighting among party members. (This is political party)

Training sessions; skits; role playing; newsletters or mini-magazines; special education for members aspiring to office (with special emphasis on the presiding officer); "bootcamps" for new members; a periodic re-examination of bylaws, special rules of order, and standing rules to weed out obsolete rules, clarify and disambiguate rules, and determine need for new rules; etc.  Everything should be programmed and customized with the interests, capacities, and needs of the members in mind.

Edited by Rob Elsman

On 9/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, Rob Elsman said:

Training sessions; skits; role playing; newsletters or mini-magazines; special education for members aspiring to office (with special emphasis on the presiding officer); "bootcamps" for new members; a periodic re-examination of bylaws, special rules of order, and standing rules to weed out obsolete rules, clarify and disambiguate rules, and determine need for new rules; etc.  Everything should be programmed and customized with the interests, capacities, and needs of the members in mind.

Excellent ideas.   am printing this out!

On 9/26/2023 at 9:28 AM, Catharine Littlefield said:

I move that the XXXX County Executive Committee establish a Standing Committee on Rules and Bylaws for the purpose of familiarizing current and future members of our Party with the SCGOP Rules that govern us;  that the committee shall be comprised composed of no more than one volunteer from each precinct with basic knowledge of SCGOP Rules or a willingness to learn them, and who are not currently officers of the County Party; that the committee be chaired and members selected by a sitting County Committeeman of who holds no other County office or other standing committee chair; and that the XXXX County Chairman may have a seat on the Rules Committee ex-officio.

The correct usage is "shall be composed of" or "shall comprise".

After "sitting County Committeeman" strike "of"

Whether it's a good idea or not is something I can't really guess at.  It occurs to me that the leadership's disregard for the rules could be caused by something other than simple ignorance.  

On 9/26/2023 at 4:30 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

The correct usage is "shall be composed of" or "shall comprise".

After "sitting County Committeeman" strike "of"

Whether it's a good idea or not is something I can't really guess at.  It occurs to me that the leadership's disregard for the rules could be caused by something other than simple ignorance.  

Thanks for the corrections.

I agree with you that it is caused by something other than simple ignorance.  I have several theories, but I can't know for sure.

All I know for sure is this:  In the Republican Party there is only one way to have a voice in the workings of the party, and that is through the precinct where you vote.  If you happen to live where there is an active, vibrant, growing group, it is easy to get involved politically and make a difference.  You may also have an "old guard" who sees every new member as a threat rather than an asset.

Edited by Catharine Littlefield

From personal experience, the first step is to get a sense of if the members want to play by the rules.  You can do all of the education you want and have members make points of order all day long but if the Chair and the members as a whole don't care or worse, actively fight against the rules because "they get in the way" then anything you do is doomed to fail.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.