The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Pronunciation

Gary Novosielski

That strikes me as odd.  I have always pronounced it PRESS-uh-dense.  Which is the preferred pronunciation in all the reference sources I could find, with a minority listing Gen. Robert's pronunciation as an alternate.  This includes British sources which was briefly a theory of mine for what the origin might be.  I doubt I will ever change the way it sounds in my head if I read it in print.

I wondered if perhaps the General's variant was of military origin, from the Army Corps of Engineers, but that's at odds with my own experience in the Army Signal Corps, where message precedence (e.g. Routine [R], Immediate [O], Flash [Z]) was always pronounced as PRESS-uh-dense.  But I guess it's possible for things to change over the span of what was, even then, the better part of a century.

So, in the experience of those here, is the General's pronunciation commonly considered the "official" pronunciation in parliamentary circles?

And if so, what of the notion of setting a precedent?  Surely it's not pronounced Pree-SEE-d'nt?  Actually that would make sense, since it it would be less likely confused with president, a term which arises frequently in those same circles.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.