The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to acknowledge that a member of the board is not serving another term

Nic Rosenau

Our Bylaws specify that "the term of each Board Member shall be three (3) years" and "Board Members may serve up to three (3) consecutive terms." 

We have our first Board Members who are coming to end the of their first three-year term. One of them has indicated that she is not interested in serving another term. Do we need to address this at the meeting, and if so how? Is it a resignation? Or is her service just over without comment? Maybe we should we just make a note of it (with an expression of thanks) in the Announcements section of the meeting? 

Also, I am assuming for those that are interested in serving another term, that we should nominate and elect them all over again, just like the first time. 

Thank you for your assistance. I am very much enjoying learning the ins-and-outs of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised from this wonderful forum. 

On 10/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, Nic Rosenau said:

Do we need to address this at the meeting, and if so how?

I don't see why. They're allowed to run for another term, but chose not to. Nothing too unusual.

Is it a resignation?

No, her term is over.

Also, I am assuming for those that are interested in serving another term, that we should nominate and elect them all over again, just like the first time. 

If you want them to serve again.

Our Bylaws specify that "the term of each Board Member shall be three (3) years" and "Board Members may serve up to three (3) consecutive terms." 

We have our first Board Members who are coming to end the of their first three-year term. One of them has indicated that she is not interested in serving another term. Do we need to address this at the meeting, and if so how? Is it a resignation? Or is her service just over without comment? Maybe we should we just make a note of it (with an expression of thanks) in the Announcements section of the meeting? 

Thank you for your assistance. I am very much enjoying learning the ins-and-outs of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised from this wonderful forum. 

Agreeing with Mr. Katz, I would add that you certainly can make an announcement regarding the departure of a member whose term is ending.  You could even write up a Resolution with a few Whereases and such thanking the member for faithful service or whatever.  Heck, you could even buy 'em a gold watch if you can get a majority vote.

And yes, those who wish to continue for another term will have to run again, perhaps with some competition.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:01 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Agreeing with Mr. Katz, I would add that you certainly can make an announcement regarding the departure of a member whose term is ending.  You could even write up a Resolution with a few Whereases and such thanking the member for faithful service or whatever.  Heck, you could even buy 'em a gold watch if you can get a majority vote.

And yes, those who wish to continue for another term will have to run again, perhaps with some competition.

Thank you, Mr. Novosielski. We have decided to go the route of a Resolution thanking her … but no gold watch. 

Be careful not to start something that cannot be stopped. If the assembly starts this practice, what happens when the society is glad to see the end of term of an officer who failed to serve with any distinction at all? How does the society prevent unnecessarily hurting the feelings of the departing officer? Adopt the resolution anyway? You can see what I am getting at.

At any rate, if the society does end up considering a courtesy resolution of this kind, it is perfectly proper for the chair to call for the affirmative vote but skip calling for the negative vote to avoid any opportunity for embarrassment, humiliation, or hurt feelings. 

On 10/15/2023 at 2:03 PM, Rob Elsman said:

At any rate, if the society does end up considering a courtesy resolution of this kind, it is perfectly proper for the chair to call for the affirmative vote but skip calling for the negative vote to avoid any opportunity for embarrassment, humiliation, or hurt feelings. 

True. But if any member demands that the negative vote be taken, it must be taken. So I would be leery of proposing any such resolution unless the member's service was truly exceptional. And even then I would think twice about it.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:03 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Be careful not to start something that cannot be stopped. If the assembly starts this practice, what happens when the society is glad to see the end of term of an officer who failed to serve with any distinction at all? How does the society prevent unnecessarily hurting the feelings of the departing officer? Adopt the resolution anyway? You can see what I am getting at.

Oh, that is an excellent point, Mr. Elsman. This board member has done a great deal for our nonprofit, and of course we hope to never have a problematic board member, but we should be considering that we now have the opportunity to establish how this will be handled in the future and we'll want a practice that will work well in all contexts.

Perhaps the chair could make a simple announcement at the end of the meeting acknowledging that this is the board member's last meeting along with a simple "thank you for your service." Those who wish to be more effusive could then do so privately afterwards. 

On 10/15/2023 at 6:30 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

True. But if any member demands that the negative vote be taken, it must be taken. So I would be leery of proposing any such resolution unless the member's service was truly exceptional. And even then I would think twice about it.

Thank you, Mr. Merritt. While it is highly unlikely that anyone would object in this particular case, you have convinced me that a simple announcement by the chair is the wisest choice. 

On 10/15/2023 at 5:47 PM, Nic Rosenau said:

Thank you, Mr. Merritt. While it is highly unlikely that anyone would object in this particular case, you have convinced me that a simple announcement by the chair is the wisest choice. 

Glad to be of help. I think that's the wisest course, to avoid setting a precedent that you may later regret.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.