The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can main motions that were passed during a General Meeting be addressed during a Special Call meeting?

Guest Trevor F.

A main motion was passed at a general meeting, can it be addressed at a special call meeting?

For example, if a motion was passed requiring that documents be obtained prior to taking an action, can a special call meeting be held to address that issue before the next general meeting?

It is an urgent matter and if these actions aren't taken immediately, my association will be effectively frozen for months, and our charter suspended.

On 1/21/2024 at 2:07 AM, Guest Trevor F. said:

A main motion was passed at a general meeting, can it be addressed at a special call meeting?

For example, if a motion was passed requiring that documents be obtained prior to taking an action, can a special call meeting be held to address that issue before the next general meeting?

It is an urgent matter and if these actions aren't taken immediately, my association will be effectively frozen for months, and our charter suspended.

Yes, as long as this proposed business is clearly described in the call of the meeting, no rule prevents addressing it in a special meeting.

Where in RONR 2022 can I find this? I am still finding my footing as President and the outgoing officers are not making anything easy. Attached is a screenshot of our Constitution and Bylaws related to special call meetings.

The principle objective would be to maintain the ability of the Local to safeguard union funds and to conduct union business

image.thumb.png.4445ccbd4ef10c9b89edd4a8cfa0cdfa.png

On 1/21/2024 at 1:07 AM, Guest Trevor F. said:

Yes - provided, of course, that all rules in your bylaws concerning calling special meetings are followed.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:50 PM, Guest Trevor F. said:

Where in RONR 2022 can I find this?

I don't know what "RONR 2022" is, but the rules in RONR (12th ed.) (which was released in 2020) on these matters can be found in the following locations:

Special Meetings: RONR (12th ed.) 9:13-16

Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted: RONR (12th ed.) Section 35.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:50 PM, Guest Trevor F. said:

I am still finding my footing as President and the outgoing officers are not making anything easy. Attached is a screenshot of our Constitution and Bylaws related to special call meetings.

The principle objective would be to maintain the ability of the Local to safeguard union funds and to conduct union business

Based upon the provided facts, it would appear that you have the authority as President to call a special meeting. Your bylaws are consistent with RONR in that they require that "The principle objective of the special called meeting shall be stated in the call for the same and business transacted shall be confined to that special call meeting."

The cited portion of your bylaws does not clarify how much notice is required for a special meeting. Perhaps that is stated elsewhere. If not, RONR simply provides that such notice "must be sent to all members a reasonable number of days in advance."

So it would seem to me that what you should do is:

• Call a special meeting and include in the call the proposed actions for the assembly to consider at that meeting.
  • Send the call the required number of days in advance to all members. (Or at least a "reasonable" number of days in advance, in the unfortunate event that your bylaws do not specify the number of days.)

While I'm not entirely clear on all the facts here, I'm picking up that this appears to be a rather sensitive issue, given your statement that "It is an urgent matter and if these actions aren't taken immediately, my association will be effectively frozen for months, and our charter suspended." Additionally, it is generally my understanding that unions are heavily regulated by applicable laws and rules. As a result, I might also suggest that it may be desirable to seek legal advice on these matters.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 1/21/2024 at 1:50 PM, Guest Trevor F. said:

Where in RONR 2022 can I find this? I am still finding my footing as President and the outgoing officers are not making anything easy. Attached is a screenshot of our Constitution and Bylaws related to special call meetings.

Where can you find what?  I'm not sure whom that reply was addressed to, but it may not matter where it is in RONR because your local rule supersedes the rule in RONR.  But fortunately the two say practically the same thing: The only items of business that are in order at a special meeting are those which are described in the call.  RONR says that [RONR (12th ed.) 9:15], and your bylaws say that, sort of.  At least that seems to be the intent.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.