The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Stopping a Vote

Brouwer

Our Township Board has called a Special Meeting to pass resolutions to establish the salaries of its 5 elected officials. Township Policy states that such resolutions were to be submitted at least two weeks ago (per Budgeting Timetable). Further per policy, the board should have three weeks to consider such recommendations prior to taking a vote on a final vote on a budget.

It is understood that there will be an attempt to push these salary resolutions through on a 3/2 vote at this Special Meeting. Given that these salary resolutions aren't following adopted Township Policy, is there a proper RONR procedure to table them until there has been time to properly consider them?

I do not know what the Township Policy says, so I cannot answer your question.  I suggest that you contact the board's legal counsel and establish with him on what basis the board has the authority to adopt the resolution without following the normal procedures as set out in the Township Policy.

I also do not know what the Township Policy says, but I would say this:

Tabling is inappropriate for a motion made in violation of governing procedural law. It also will not accomplish what you want. The way to bring attention to a violation of the rules is to raise a point of order, and for the chair to decide, subject to an appeal to the deliberative body that is meeting. Under these circumstances, and subject to the advice of an attorney versed in these matters, there may be some parliamentary steps that will work. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.