The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes Effect Before approval

Jay M

What is the effect of approving, not approving and pending of approval of the minutes?  I believe once a resolution is approved it is in operation immediately. Some times it takes months to approve the minutes. I wonder if necessary can we start implementing the resolutions without waiting for the approval of the minutes ?

Thanks in advance. 

On 1/25/2024 at 10:13 AM, Jay M said:

I believe once a resolution is approved it is in operation immediately.

Correct.

Some times it takes months to approve the minutes.

Why?

I wonder if necessary can we start implementing the resolutions without waiting for the approval of the minutes ?

Not just if necessary, but all the time. A motion takes effect when adopted, unless the motion or your rules say otherwise.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:13 AM, Jay M said:

What is the effect of approving, not approving and pending of approval of the minutes?

The effect of approving the minutes is to confirm they are an accurate record of what happened. That's it.

I believe once a resolution is approved it is in operation immediately.

Correct, unless the resolution itself or the organization's rules provide otherwise.

Some times it takes months to approve the minutes.

Do you only meet every few months?

I wonder if necessary can we start implementing the resolutions without waiting for the approval of the minutes ?

Yes, you can and should start implementing resolutions without waiting for approval of the minutes.

Edited by Josh Martin

What is the effect of approving, not approving and pending of approval of the minutes?  I believe once a resolution is approved it is in operation immediately. Some times it takes months to approve the minutes. I wonder if necessary can we start implementing the resolutions without waiting for the approval of the minutes ?

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, duly adopted resolutions should be implemented without delay.  Implementation should not wait upon the approval of minutes. 

• The effect of approving minutes is that they are agreed to be a true record of what was decided at the meeting. 
  • Pending approval simply means that there has not yet been an opportunity to approve them. 
  • Not approving minutes is not an option. 

There is no such thing as a No vote on approving the minutes.  The only way to object to accepting the draft minutes is to offer a correction that, if agreed to, would make them acceptable.  But note well that once any corrections have been considered (whether agreed to or not) the minutes stand approved, without any "final vote".

On 1/25/2024 at 1:32 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Yes, duly adopted resolutions should be implemented without delay.  Implementation should not wait upon the approval of minutes. 

• The effect of approving minutes is that they are agreed to be a true record of what was decided at the meeting. 
  • Pending approval simply means that there has not yet been an opportunity to approve them. 
  • Not approving minutes is not an option. 

There is no such thing as a No vote on approving the minutes.  The only way to object to accepting the draft minutes is to offer a correction that, if agreed to, would make them acceptable.  But note well that once any corrections have been considered (whether agreed to or not) the minutes stand approved, without any "final vote".

Thanks Gary

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.