The Official RONR Q & A Forums

MAINTAIN CURRENT BOARD MEMBER UNTIL TERM IS ENDED

Guest MUDMAN

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO CURRENTLY IS A BOARD OF DIRECTOR WITH A TWO YEAR FULL TERM AND ONE YEAR LEFT TO SERVE.

OUR CLUB PRESIDENT RESIGNED AND MY FRIEND WAS NOMINATED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AT OUR SUNDAY MEETING.

THE NEXT DAY HE CALLED AND TOOK HIS NAME OFF THE LIST FOR RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

DID THIS NOMINATION TERMINATE HIS BOARD MEMBER STATUS OR IS HE STILL AN ACTIVE BOARD MEMBER?

Agreeing with Mr. Mervosh, I will add that most likely, there should have been no nominations for president in teh first place. Rather, the vice president became president immediately, and teh nomination should have been t fill the vacated office of VP.

The only exceptions to that procedure are: (1) if your bylaws specifically say that a vacancy in the office of president is filled by elections or some process other than automatic succession by the VP; or (2) at the time of the vacancy, you had no vice president. 

On 2/7/2024 at 11:29 AM, Guest MUDMAN said:

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO CURRENTLY IS A BOARD OF DIRECTOR WITH A TWO YEAR FULL TERM AND ONE YEAR LEFT TO SERVE.

OUR CLUB PRESIDENT RESIGNED AND MY FRIEND WAS NOMINATED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AT OUR SUNDAY MEETING.

THE NEXT DAY HE CALLED AND TOOK HIS NAME OFF THE LIST FOR RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

DID THIS NOMINATION TERMINATE HIS BOARD MEMBER STATUS OR IS HE STILL AN ACTIVE BOARD MEMBER?

No, none of this changes anything.  He is still a member.

(Check your caps lock key, it seems to be on.)

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.