The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The motion to reconsider and the minutes

Kamala D. Allen

How does the secretary document the actions of the assembly in the minutes in the case of a sequence of events related to the adoption of a motion, a subsequent motion to reconsider that motion, which is adopted, and a subsequent loss of the original motion (whereas it was initially adopted)? Given that the adoption of the motion to reconsider makes it as though the original vote was never taken, I'm unclear what should be reflected in the minutes.

List the adoption of the motion. 

Then, when reconsider is moved:

"________  moved to reconsider the motion [list motion].  The motion to reconsider was adopted. 

Upon reconsideration, the motion [list motion] was defeated."

This would be how I would do it.  The motion to reconsider should clearly be included in the minutes, when it involves a main motion (48:4 #6). 

Edited by J. J.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:48 PM, Kamala D. Allen said:

Given that the adoption of the motion to reconsider makes it as though the original vote was never taken, I'm unclear what should be reflected in the minutes.

I concur with J.J. that the minutes should reflect the adoption of the main motion, the motion to reconsider, and the subsequent defeat of the main motion.

To say that adoption of a motion to reconsider "makes it as though the original vote was never taken" goes too far, at least for purposes of the minutes. An adopted motion to reconsider means that the original vote is canceled, and the motion is placed before the assembly in the same condition as it was immediately prior to when the vote was taken. But it doesn't change history or the society's records.

The text of RONR requires that all main motions are recorded, as well as all motions to bring a main question again before the assembly. So it's clear that both the main motion and the motion to reconsider must be recorded. And if both of these are recorded, the minutes won't make much sense unless the minutes record both the original result on the motion and the result after reconsideration.

"The body of the minutes should contain a separate paragraph for each subject matter, and should show: ...

6) all main motions (10) or motions to bring a main question again before the assembly (6:25–27; 34–37) that were made or taken up—except, normally, any that were withdrawn" RONR (12th ed.) 48:4

Edited by Josh Martin

On 2/25/2024 at 9:07 AM, Rob Elsman said:

I think the correct answer depends on whether the final disposition of the main motion occurred at the same, or a later, meeting.

I agree with Mr. Martin and would not find that it makes a difference if reconsideration took place at the same meeting or not.

As per 48:4 #6, both final and temporary disposition should be shown.  For example, a main motion is tabled (properly) and taken from the table later in the meeting, both actions should be shown. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.