The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definition of a meeting

Guest thegate@cox.net

On 3/14/2024 at 4:05 PM, Guest thegate@cox.net said:

If the meeting is called to order, but there is not a quorum, is that meeting still considered a meeting?

Yes.

"In the absence of a quorum, any business transacted (except for the procedural actions noted in the next paragraph) is null and void. But if a quorum fails to appear at a regular or properly called meeting, the inability to transact business does not detract from the fact that the society's rules requiring the meeting to be held were complied with and the meeting was convened—even though it had to adjourn immediately." RONR (12th ed.) 40:6

On 3/14/2024 at 4:05 PM, Guest thegate@cox.net said:

Are minutes taken for those brief few moments between the call to order and the quorum vote?

Yes. They'll just be very short minutes. They might look something like this.

"The regular monthly meeting of the L.M. Society was held on Thursday, January 4, 2024, at 8:30 P.M., at the Society's building, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present. 

The meeting adjourned at 8:35 P.M."

It may also be desirable to add a sentence to the minutes noting "A quorum was not present."

On 3/14/2024 at 5:43 PM, Rob Elsman said:

I think what was meant is that a count had to be ordered to make sure there was, or there was not, a quorum.

I agree and would add that I do not believe it is necessary to mention the "quorum vote" or "head count" in the minutes, but doing so would not be improper, either.  It would also be permissible to state something to the effect that "Only five members were present, so the meeting was adjourned at 8:35 pm due to the absence of a quorum". 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.