The Official RONR Q & A Forums

written motions

Jay M

I read written motions take priority over the other motions.  I wonder what is is the procedure to follow this rule? Suppose if there is an approved agenda with number of  items can a member   propose a written motion  on any agenda items at any time  with out waiting for the item come up for discussion?  Please clarify . Thanks in advance

On 4/2/2024 at 10:27 AM, Jay M said:

I read written motions take priority over the other motions.  I wonder what is is the procedure to follow this rule? Suppose if there is an approved agenda with number of  items can a member   propose a written motion  on any agenda items at any time  with out waiting for the item come up for discussion?  Please clarify . Thanks in advance

There is no such rule.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, Jay M said:

I don't know where you read this. No such rule exists.

It is certainly highly recommended that motions be in writing (unless perhaps the motion is very brief), and I think the chair should certainly encourage members to put their motions in writing, ideally before the motion is reached on the agenda. But doing this will not give the motion "priority" over other motions. It will just make everyone's lives easier, especially the Chair and the Secretary.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:27 AM, Jay M said:

Recall where you read that, and classify it as an unreliable source.  It is a good idea to put any motion in writing if possible, and it is often required in some contexts, but it does not affect priority at all.

What may be in the back of Jay M's mind is the legitimate practice where the maker will submit a written motion of some length or complexity to the secretary beforehand.  Sometimes this is referred to as "sending a motion to the desk".  When the mover is recognized for the purpose of making the motion, he may say something like, "Mr. President, I have submitted a motion to the desk, and, at this time, I move its adoption."  The mover should resume his seat, and the chair will immediately recognize the secretary (or a reading clerk) for the purpose of reading the motion.

This practice is especially useful where the secretary needs to have a copy of the motion to enter on the minutes.  However, the practice is not particularly useful when the motion is simple enough to be made orally by the mover and copied down by the secretary.  Thus, "I move to adjourn until ten o'clock tomorrow morning" is so simple and straightforward that requiring such a motion to be written down by the mover would be a little silly.

Edited by Rob Elsman

On 4/5/2024 at 1:29 PM, Rob Elsman said:

What may be in the back of Jay M's mind is the legitimate practice where the maker will submit a written motion of some length or complexity to the secretary beforehand.  Sometimes this is referred to as "sending a motion to the desk".  When the mover is recognized for the purpose of making the motion, he may say something like, "Mr. President, I have submitted a motion to the desk, and, at this time, I move its adoption."  The mover should resume his seat, and the chair will immediately recognize the secretary (or a reading clerk) for the purpose of reading the motion.

This practice is especially useful where the secretary needs to have a copy of the motion to enter on the minutes.  However, the practice is not particularly useful when the motion is simple enough to be made orally by the mover and copied down by the secretary.  Thus, "I move to adjourn until ten o'clock tomorrow morning" is so simple and straightforward that requiring such a motion to be written down by the mover would be a little silly.

Thanks Rob. I understood that the written motion does not give any priority over agenda items order.

Thanks

On 4/5/2024 at 1:18 PM, Jay M said:

I remember now  I read this as one of the ground rules in a  general body meeting of our association. Thanks for your clarification.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:36 PM, Jay M said:

Atul for all general body meetings for a long time. Thanks

In that case, the body that adopted it will have to interpret it.

My question was aimed at understanding whether this was a properly adopted special rule, which will need to be followed, or just "advice."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.