The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjourning a convention when there are items remaining on the agenda

Guest alan

The situation: We were conducting a convention, and there was one item of business left on the agenda. At that point, a member moved to adjourn sine die. The chair ruled that the motion was in order.

Since the motion dissolved the assembly, I think that may have been an error. Although there was no "pending motion" on the floor, I think the remaining item would count as "pending business", and therefore the motion would be out of order.

Is my interpretation correct? Basically, I'm trying to confirm (for purposes of this question) that "pending business" is different from a "pending motion".

Agreeing with my colleagues, an assembly may not be forced to meet indefinitely. If they want to go, they have the right to end the meeting and go. Else you could pass things by exhaustion. If, on the other hand, people would like to conduct the business for which they came, they should vote no on the motion to adjourn.

Agreeing with my colleagues, a motion to adjourn which amounts to a motion to adjourn sine die of a convention which will go out of existence upon adjournment is not a privileged motion, but is an ordinary, main motion subject to debate and amendment. It would be appropriate for a member to state that there is still one important item of business to be taken up and that the motion to adjourn should be defeated.

See section 21:8 of RONR (12th ed.)

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction and edited first sentence

On 4/17/2024 at 9:04 AM, Guest alan said:

The situation: We were conducting a convention, and there was one item of business left on the agenda. At that point, a member moved to adjourn sine die. The chair ruled that the motion was in order.

Since the motion dissolved the assembly, I think that may have been an error. Although there was no "pending motion" on the floor, I think the remaining item would count as "pending business", and therefore the motion would be out of order.

Is my interpretation correct?

No. The chair ruled correctly. An item which is on the agenda but which has not yet been reached is not pending.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:04 AM, Guest alan said:

Basically, I'm trying to confirm (for purposes of this question) that "pending business" is different from a "pending motion".

I don't think this is correct, but even if it was, the remaining item was not pending.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.