The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian

Angie N

Hello,

In our organization the Parliamentarian is an elected position and is also chair of the bylaws committee and member of the executive board.  I understand that the Parliamentarian in general should remain impartial and not participate in debate and voting unless by secret ballot. Does this still apply as a board member and chair of bylaws? If possible,  can someone tell me where I  can find the answer in RONR also? Thank you so much!

On 4/18/2024 at 1:50 PM, Angie N said:

Hello,

In our organization the Parliamentarian is an elected position and is also chair of the bylaws committee and member of the executive board.  I understand that the Parliamentarian in general should remain impartial and not participate in debate and voting unless by secret ballot. Does this still apply as a board member and chair of bylaws? If possible,  can someone tell me where I  can find the answer in RONR also? Thank you so much!

This is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation.... interpretation of your own organization's bylaws and whether the intent is to grant the elected parliamentarian the same rights to make motions, participate in debate and vote as all other members rather than have those rights limited by the rules in 47:55 of RONR (12th ed.) as would normally apply to a member parliamentarian.  That provision reads as follows:

A member of an assembly who acts as its parliamentarian has the same duty as the presiding officer to maintain a position of impartiality, and therefore does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote on any question except in the case of a ballot vote. He does not cast a deciding vote, even if his vote would affect the result, since that would interfere with the chair’s prerogative of doing so. If a member feels that he cannot properly forgo these rights in order to serve as parliamentarian, he should not accept that position. Unlike the presiding officer, the parliamentarian cannot temporarily relinquish his position in order to exercise such rights on a particular motion.

It is ultimately up to your membership to determine whether the intent of the bylaws is to exempt your elected member parliamentarian from that provision in RONR.

I will add that it is also possible for your organization to adopt a special rule of order specifically granting your member parliamentarian the same rights as all other members have in this regard.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:50 PM, Angie N said:

I think this is a question your organization will have to answer for itself. Your organization has chosen to have the parliamentarian also serve as a board member and as Chair of the Bylaws Committee. It may well be your organization determines that, as a consequence of these additional duties, the parliamentarian should be relieved, in whole or in part, from the responsibility of maintaining the appearance of impartiality. But RONR can't answer that for you, because this issue is due to a rule your organization has created.

I might suggest there may well be a "middle ground" in this regard. I could see a reasonable argument that, for instance, the parliamentarian would participate fully at board meetings, but would refrain from exercising the rights of membership at membership meetings except with respect to amendments to the bylaws, in order to fulfill his responsibilities as chair of the bylaws committee.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 4/18/2024 at 2:50 PM, Angie N said:

Hello,

It's hard to see how the individual could be effective as a board member or committee chair if required to follow the rules intended for a meeting parliamentarian, which apply to the person who is serving as an advisor to the chair of the meeting (primarily).

Thank you everyone for your responses! Greatly appreciated.  I actually checked our Bylaws and only see that the Parliamentarian is on the executive board. I think it may be custom that they serve as the bylaws chair also. This sounds like a good opportunity for us to update our bylaws to provide clarification.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.