The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Livestream a membership meeting

Guest James

Hi

Is it okay according to RONR to hold a church membership meeting in person but also livestream it for other members to attend? Voting would still be in person or by proxy. Our church bylaws don’t state anything about virtual or livestreaming meetings. Does it need to? 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:58 AM, Guest James said:

Hi

Is it okay according to RONR to hold a church membership meeting in person but also livestream it for other members to attend? Voting would still be in person or by proxy. Our church bylaws don’t state anything about virtual or livestreaming meetings. Does it need to? 

Yes, such meetings must be authorized in your bylaws or by applicable law.

On 5/5/2024 at 10:00 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Yes, such meetings must be authorized in your bylaws or by applicable law.

Perhaps I am mis-reading the post, but I think Guest James is talking about simply live-streaming (televising) church membership meetings via the internet so that other church members may WATCH the proceedings, but not participate in them.  Why would that need to be authorized in the bylaws or by law?  There is no prohibition against it in RONR that I am aware of.  I do agree, however, that the adoption of a motion or standing rule of some sort by the appropriate church governing body might be appropriate, but I am not convinced that it is necessary..... just probably advisable.  I also agree that some sort of authorization such as a standing rule or special rule of order would be advisable and maybe even necessary if the non-present members are going to actually participate in the meeting by speaking, debating, etc. The OP wasn't clear on that point, only that they would not be able to vote.

On 5/5/2024 at 11:48 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Perhaps, but how about voting by proxy?

I do not interpret that as being part of his question, but rather more of a statement that their rules allow voting by proxy. However, I do agree completely that voting by proxy must be permitted by state law or the bylaws.

So just to clarify, if we are live streaming the membership meeting and are NOT allowing/inviting participation from members online, then that is fine even if it is not in our bylaws.

however, if we are live-streaming the membership meeting and including participation from online members, then that is not fine because it is not in our bylaws. 

is that right?

I agree that there is no problem livestreaming without allowing/inviting participation, with the note that it is up to the membership of the body that is meeting whether to permit livesteaming. So absent a rule permitting it (which need not be a bylaw-level rule) they'll decide at the meeting, which could frustrate people if they say no. So it would be advisable to adopt a rule on the matter.

As to whether participation requires a rule in the bylaws, I'm not entirely convinced. If participation means voting, then certainly. If it means speaking in debate, I tend to think it requires a rule in the bylaws, but I'm less sure. And if it's just speaking, akin to public comments, I tend to think a special rule of order or permission from the body at the time would be sufficient.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:42 PM, Guest James said:

So just to clarify, if we are live streaming the membership meeting and are NOT allowing/inviting participation from members online, then that is fine even if it is not in our bylaws.

however, if we are live-streaming the membership meeting and including participation from online members, then that is not fine because it is not in our bylaws. 

is that right?

Yes, this is correct.

Separate and apart from this live-streaming issue, it should also be noted that proxy voting is only permitted if authorized by your bylaws or applicable law.

Edited by Josh Martin

For whatever it many be worth, I think that what rule level is required for livestreaming a meeting depends on the level of participation desired for the virtual attendees.

• If the virtual attendees are to be given full participation rights, inclosing voting, a bylaws rule would be required.
  • If the virtual attendees are to be allowed to speak in debate, but not vote, a special rule of order (or a motion to suspend teh rules) would be sufficient.
  • If the virtual attendees are to be allowed to observe, but not actively participate, a standing rule (or an ordinary motion at the beginning of the meeting) would be sufficient. Or even custom if the custom does not conflict with a written rule.

At least that's the way I see it. If anyone disagrees, I would be interested in your reasoning.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:26 AM, Weldon Merritt said:

For whatever it many be worth, I think that what rule level is required for livestreaming a meeting depends on the level of participation desired for the virtual attendees.

• If the virtual attendees are to be given full participation rights, inclosing voting, a bylaws rule would be required.
  • If the virtual attendees are to be allowed to speak in debate, but not vote, a special rule of order (or a motion to suspend teh rules) would be sufficient.
  • If the virtual attendees are to be allowed to observe, but not actively participate, a standing rule (or an ordinary motion at the beginning of the meeting) would be sufficient. Or even custom if the custom does not conflict with a written rule.

At least that's the way I see it. If anyone disagrees, I would be interested in your reasoning.

That's the way I see it, too, so I agree.

On 5/6/2024 at 7:40 PM, Drake Savory said:

Can a member object to the livestream as non-members may be watching?

No, the member cannot "object" to the livestream on the basis that non-members may be watching. A member is free to raise this issue in debate on a motion to livestream (or stop livestreaming) the meeting.

Depending on the assembly, it may be a concern that non-members may be watching. On the other hand, livestreaming the meeting as broadly as possible (even to non-members) may well be the point.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.