The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Corrections to minutes were rejected in a meeting

Guest Cecil

In a previous thread, it was noted that there is not vote to approve the minutes, but we simply offer corrections.

In our organization, the minutes have consistently been inaccurate in that points of order are not recorded. When members of the assembly raise a correction, it is rejected by the Board. I have two questions:

Who bears the responsibility for accuracy of the minutes? The secretary? Chair? The assembly? I am asking so we know in advance of the next election.

If corrections are rejected, what should the next step be for someone who wants to ensure that either they are corrected, or at least have  a formal complaint was made about them?

On 7/30/2024 at 11:48 AM, Guest Cecil said:

When members of the assembly raise a correction, it is rejected by the Board.

Whose minutes are these? If they are minutes of an assembly meeting, then the board has no role in the decision - if there is an objection to the correction then the assembly votes on whether to make the correction.

The assembly is responsible for the accuracy of the minutes of its meetings. The board is responsible for the accuracy of its meetings' minutes.

On 7/30/2024 at 10:01 AM, Atul Kapur said:

Whose minutes are these? If they are minutes of an assembly meeting, then the board has no role in the decision - if there is an objection to the correction then the assembly votes on whether to make the correction.

The assembly is responsible for the accuracy of the minutes of its meetings. The board is responsible for the accuracy of its meetings' minutes.

Thanks. I meant people took the Chair's word for it. Most of them hadn't attended the previous meeting so they had no way of knowing any different.

You still haven’t told us whose minutes you are referring to. It makes a difference. Are they minutes of board meetings? Minutes of general membership meetings? The board approves minutes of board meetings and the general membership approves minutes of general membership meetings. The board has no authority to approve minutes of general membership meetings, unless your bylaws specifically give the board that authority.

I concur that if the rules in RONR apply, the Board has no role in what goes into the minutes of a Membership meeting.  It is possible that your rules or a motion could change that, but that's the general rule.

And also in the general case, whenever minutes are being approved, if a correction is offered and there is a dispute as to its accuracy, the matter is put to a majority vote in that body, and if the correction is rejected, the draft minutes remain as they were.  

You are correct that the only way to object to the approval of the draft minutes is to offer a correction.  It is not necessary that the correction be adopted, just that it is offered.  If it is rejected by a vote, then the objection simply fails, which is always a possibility.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Agreeing with Mr. Novosielski, I continue to be amazed at the number of organizations which believe a vote must be taken on approving the minutes.

Mea culpa: I too, believed that to be true once upon a time, long long ago. I shudder when I think of some of the things I used to believe!

Edited by Richard Brown
Added mea culpa

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.