The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unapproved minutes

Guest Bob Kelly

Must meeting minutes be "approved" before publishing? This is with regard to meetings of committees in a Home Owners Association.

All minutes must be approved. In fact, they're not the minutes until they are approved.

There is no requirement in RONR that they be published, nor any prohibition against "publishing" draft (i.e. unapproved) minutes.

Note, too, that what you mean by "published" and what RONR means by "published" are very likely two different things.

And note that committees don't usually prepare minutes.

• 2 years later...
Staff and the Board of Directors disagree on posting to our website "draft" minutes, are there any RONR rules regarding that?

No. Your organization decides what its policy will be about things like this.

(Any more discussion on Guest_Marilee's question should be removed to a new topic by Guest_Marilee, to avoid confusion with Bob Kelly's. I hope that's OK with Guest_Marilee.)

(Any more discussion on Guest_Marilee's question should be removed to a new topic by Guest_Marilee, to avoid confusion with Bob Kelly's. I hope that's OK with Guest_Marilee.)

But give Marilee some credit for reaching back into the archives more than two years. And I suspect we won't hear from Bob Kelly again. So no harm; no foul.

Archived