The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling the question

Guest Murray

If debate has ended, may the question be called without a formal motion/second/vote/two-thirds-in-favor of taking a vote? Stated otherwise, if debate has ended, may a member simply ask the chair to put the question to a vote?

When no member claims the floor, the presiding officer should ask, "Are you ready for the question?" and pause. If, still, no one claims the floor, the debate has ended naturally, and the presiding officer puts the question to a vote without a formal motion to close debate. RONR (10th ed.), p. 42.

It is, indeed, not out of order for a member to obtain the floor and ask unanimous consent that the Previous Question be ordered. The proper way to handle a unanimous consent request is given in RONR (10th ed.), pp. 51-53. The effects of ordering the Previous Question are discussed in RONR (10th ed.), §16, pp. 189ff.

When no member claims the floor, the presiding officer should ask, "Are you ready for the question?" and pause. If, still, no one claims the floor, the debate has ended naturally, and the presiding officer puts the question to a vote without a formal motion to close debate. RONR (10th ed.), p. 42.

It is, indeed, not out of order for a member to obtain the floor and ask unanimous consent that the Previous Question be ordered. The proper way to handle a unanimous consent request is given in RONR (10th ed.), pp. 51-53. The effects of ordering the Previous Question are discussed in RONR (10th ed.), §16, pp. 189ff.

....if debate has ended, may a member simply ask the chair to put the question to a vote?

With a little luck, at this point the chair will ask for the vote (put the question) without needing to be asked. But if many of the posts here are any indication as regards the chair's ability to obey and follow the expected parliamentary procedures, well....... maybe more than a little luck.

With any luck, at this point the chair will ask for the vote (put the question) without needing to be asked.

And you could even make the argument that debate hasn't officially ended until the question is put, as RONR seems to suggest when, on p.42, it refers to a time when the debate appears to have closed. Though I would think "ended" would be a better word than "closed" (which implies a closer).

Can't wait for the 11th Edition. The hopes and fears of all the world are resting on its shoulders.

And you could even make the argument that debate hasn't officially ended until the question is put, as RONR seems to suggest when, on p.42, it refers to a time when the debate appears to have closed. Though I would think "ended" would be a better word than "closed" (which implies a closer).

Can't wait for the 11th Edition. The hopes and fears of all the world are resting on its shoulders.

Fears too? Oh-ho.:huh:

You really had trouble with this for over 10 years?

You really had trouble with this for over 10 years?

I'd like to think the trouble is more recent than that.

But I'm starting to think that either [a] there will never be an 11th Edition or it will be so big that you'll need co-chairmen to bring it to meetings. And so I worry about the impossible dilemmas.

Archived