The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roll Call

Guest Guest

What does word of Roll Call mean related to AGM?

The same thing that it means for a Board or Committee meeting. Basically, a Roll Call vote is the most transparent form of voting where each member's name is called and they publicly cast their votes and it is recorded in the minutes. However, as will be pointed out Roll Call votes are designed for when there is a constituency that the body has to answer to (which applies to very few bodies). See RONR pp. 405-408 for further details.

Taking a vote by roll call means that each individual member casts his vote when his name is called. In large conventions, the vote by roll call is sometimes taken delegation by delegation, instead.

There is a second meaning for those societies that require attendance. The roll of the membership is called at the beginning of the meeting, and each member who is present answers. The roll call is entered on the minutes.

There is a second meaning for those societies that require attendance. The roll of the membership is called at the beginning of the meeting, and each member who is present answers. The roll call is entered on the minutes.

Few members' names are on Roll Call but they were not attending/no answers AGM in meeting minutes. What is next step for member who was attending at AGM that he knew some weren't there that Secretary and other board knew but they did put names who weren't attending on roll call? That member felt not right to see that on minutes.

Few members' names are on Roll Call but they were not attending/no answers AGM in meeting minutes. What is next step for member who was attending at AGM that he knew some weren't there that Secretary and other board knew but they did put names who weren't attending on roll call? That member felt not right to see that on minutes.

The minutes can be corrected. See FAQ #16 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

A deeper question in this is why were the minutes forged to show attendance by members not in attendance? It might have been to suggest a quorum was present when in fact it wasn't, possibly leaving all actions taken at the meeting null and void. However, unless irrefutable proof could be presented of that fact, it would be a challenge to make that an issue subsequently.

Regardless, what this situation does point to is that you have leaders who are unsuitable for their positions, and might want to consider taking action in that regard, whether it be making different choices at the next election, or pursuing a disciplinary course. FAQ #20, and the corresponding Chapter XX in RONR will be a starting point in the process. This being perhaps the first time something like this happened (and who can be sure?), it likely won't be the last.

A deeper question in this is why were the minutes forged to show attendance by members not in attendance? It might have been to suggest a quorum was present when in fact it wasn't, possibly leaving all actions taken at the meeting null and void. However, unless irrefutable proof could be presented of that fact, it would be a challenge to make that an issue subsequently.

Regardless, what this situation does point to is that you have leaders who are unsuitable for their positions, and might want to consider taking action in that regard, whether it be making different choices at the next election, or pursuing a disciplinary course. FAQ #20, and the corresponding Chapter XX in RONR will be a starting point in the process. This being perhaps the first time something like this happened (and who can be sure?), it likely won't be the last.

No, the roll call does not establish that a quorum is present when a vote is taken. I cannot imagine what could have been gained by this, either. Usually, when this sort of thing happens, it involves attendance at a board meeting when directors want to collect a fee or per diem to which they are not entitled. That doesn't seem to be the case, here, though.

.... but they did put names who weren't attending on roll call?

No, the roll call does not establish that a quorum is present when a vote was taken.

True, but nothing our Guest posted indicates the Roll Call was for a vote. In fact, it seems more about attendance at the meeting, not how anyone voted. And that may be how they "board" (although we know they weren't really there at an AGM) justified the quorum being met.

True, but nothing our Guest posted indicates the Roll Call was for a vote. In fact, it seems more about attendance at the meeting, not how anyone voted. And that may be how they "board" (although we know they weren't really there at an AGM) justified the quorum being met.

Well, it is quite possible for plenty of members to be present (even when they really are!) when the roll is called, but there not be a quorum when a vote is taken. These are two separate things.

Well.. That one is related to voting members to count in the quorum. There were specific requirements of delegates are qualified that he/she can vote in the constitution that I can't give specifics from there to you. Some of them didn't meet requirements like not attending and already recorded in the minutes. Few others weren't qualified to fit in the requirements of delegates' voting. That's why I am asking you. I have to follow organization's constitution and bylaws. If it is true that some are violations, what is next step with that minutes? Just wonder

few motions included amendments are never made in the AGM but they are already recorded included in the minutes by secretary. I beleive that some of them were false.

If it is true that some are violations, what is next step with that minutes? Just wonder

Approved minutes can be corrected by adopting a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. With previous notice it requires a majority vote. Without notice it requires either a two-thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the (entire) membership.

The bigger question is why is the secretary filing false minutes, and/or why is the assembly approving them?

Approved minutes can be corrected by adopting a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. With previous notice it requires a majority vote. Without notice it requires either a two-thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the (entire) membership.

The bigger question is why is the secretary filing false minutes, and/or why is the assembly approving them?

That's why we,members didn't receive minutes (AGM was couple months ago) from secretary until it was posted in website recently. That's why I read minutes and found out some of them weren't true that I know that some never be brought up that few delegates were witnessing at the meeting. Actually, that minutes will be correction or approved by members by next AGM. Right, same question by myself that why she file some falses in that minutes.

Actually, that minutes will be correction or approved by members by next AGM.

If the general membership does not meet at least quarterly (i.e. every three months) a committee (or the board if you have one) should be authorized to approve the minutes. A year is way too long to wait.

If, on the other hand, you meet, say, monthly, you should approve the AGM minutes at the next monthly meeting. The annual meeting is just another regular meeting. You needn't, and shouldn't, wait until the next annual meeting to approve the minutes from the last annual meeting.

If the general membership does not meet at least quarterly (i.e. every three months) a committee (or the board if you have one) should be authorized to approve the minutes. A year is way too long to wait.

If, on the other hand, you meet, say, monthly, you should approve the AGM minutes at the next monthly meeting. The annual meeting is just another regular meeting. You needn't, and shouldn't, wait until the next annual meeting to approve the minutes from the last annual meeting.

Wowie. I know there are more more happeneds. Two by law committees alredy resigned. But board - suspected that some of them aren't aware of how to process proper way. Long story. I amm appreciated with your questions/explanations. I will share my local board that what will we do next against board (national). Have a good day. Ohh.. Where Can I find local parlimentarian (sp?) in my local? Thru phone book or lookin up thru NAP and will members be in public that I can find one?

Archived