The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Rules

Guest Jan Graunke

I am on a Board and a long-time Board member keeps refering to the "Standing Rules". No one seems to know where they are nor what they are. Is there such a thing referred to in Roberts?

Yes.

RONR p. 18']

Standing rules, as understood in this book except in the case of conventions, are rules (1) which are related to the details of the administration of a society rather than to parliamentary procedure, and (2) which can be adopted or changed upon the same conditions as any ordinary act of the society. An example of such a rule might be one setting the hour at which meetings are to begin, or one relating to the maintenance of a guest register.

I am on a Board and a long-time Board member keeps refering to the "Standing Rules". No one seems to know where they are...

The Secretary, at the least, should have a copy of the Standing Rules, kept with the other records of the organization. Failing that, you might have to look through old minutes.

I am on a Board and a long-time Board member keeps refering to the "Standing Rules". No one seems to know where they are nor what they are.

Not even the person who keeps referring to them? When someone refers to a rule with which you are unfamiliar, the phrase, "Show me" is often a useful one.

I am on a Board and a long-time Board member keeps refering to the "Standing Rules". No one seems to know where they are nor what they are. Is there such a thing referred to in Roberts?

The standing rules discussed in RONR (10th ed.), p. 18, may be included in the booklet of the bylaws, rules of order, and standing rules that is distributed to new members and, periodically, other members, as well. The president should always have a copy of these standing rules at hand when he presides at a meeting.

Archived