The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president suggests adjournment

Guest AFielder

At our last meeting, our president suggested to the body that somebody could call for an adjournment. There were multiple people that had issues that they wanted to discuss. The motion was supported and passed, but not without multiple people voting against the motion. My question is, was the "suggestion" of the president out of order? If he was out of order, could the motion to adjourn been rescinded, and the meeting continue on?

My question is, was the "suggestion" of the president out of order? If he was out of order, could the motion to adjourn been rescinded, and the meeting continue on?

It was, at best, inappropriate. But the motion was adopted so, presumably, a majority of the assembly (or at least of those who cared to vote) were in favor. Once the meeting is adjourned, it's over. So it's too late to rescind or reconsider the motion. The solution was to defeat it in the first place.

It was, at best, inappropriate. But the motion was adopted so, presumably, a majority of the assembly (or at least of those who cared to vote) were in favor. Once the meeting is adjourned, it's over. So it's too late to rescind or reconsider the motion. The solution was to defeat it in the first place.

The issue is that most of the body did not know about one of the issues and I know for sure that the body would of liked to know who and why with this issue. So unless the issue is discussed with a majority of the body, before hand, there is no way to get this issue brought to the bodies attention prior to voting on the adjournment?

would raising a point of order (for there being further business) be appropriate? After all, the motion to adjourn is not debatable. So how would one get an issue raised assuming the premise that the majority would want it discussed if they knew)?

or IOW what exactly is meant by RONR 10th ed. p 230 lines 21-22?

A Point of Order would not be proper under these circumstances. However, there are some parliamentary steps which are in order even with the motion to Adjourn pending. See RONR pp. 230-232 for details.

or IOW what exactly is meant by RONR 10th ed. p 230 lines 21-22?

I would imagine an example would be if the assembly was about to Adjourn and the caterer for their New Year's bash needed to be hired by the next day in order to deliver the munchies to the party. If they adjourned before dealing with this the next meeting would be too late to do anything about it.

A Point of Order would not be proper under these circumstances. However, there are some parliamentary steps which are in order even with the motion to Adjourn pending. See RONR pp. 230-232 for details.

I would imagine an example would be if the assembly was about to Adjourn and the caterer for their New Year's bash needed to be hired by the next day in order to deliver the munchies to the party. If they adjourned before dealing with this the next meeting would be too late to do anything about it.

Right, that's exactly what I was reading. So how would a member (let's assume I'm the only one who knows about this important pending matter) get the issue introduced? If not via a point of order, how? Shouting it out seems so gauche ;-)

Right, that's exactly what I was reading. So how would a member (let's assume I'm the only one who knows about this important pending matter) get the issue introduced? If not via a point of order, how? Shouting it out seems so gauche ;-)

Stand up and address the Chair. If the Chair would know how to deal with a member addressing him when the motion to Adjourn is pending you could simply say, "Mr. Chairman (or President or whatever title you all use)" and allow him to recognize you before proceeding. If it is likely the Chair will be bewildered by you addressing him and might rule you out of order you might need to say outright what the issue is so he (and the other members) know what you are trying to tell them.

So unless the issue is discussed with a majority of the body, before hand, there is no way to get this issue brought to the bodies attention prior to voting on the adjournment?

There are many methods to bring an item before the assembly during a meeting, but you're pretty much out of luck when the motion to Adjourn is made, unless your motion falls under one of the exceptions in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 230-232.

If you have an assembly which gets "trigger happy" with the motion to Adjourn, it is indeed advisable to either solicit allies prior to the meeting, attempt to take action earlier in the meeting, or both.

The issue is that most of the body did not know about one of the issues and I know for sure that the body would of liked to know who and why with this issue. So unless the issue is discussed with a majority of the body, before hand, there is no way to get this issue brought to the bodies attention prior to voting on the adjournment?

AFielder, it is proper for a member to be permitted to explain that he will introduce an important topic if the pending motion to Adjourn is rejected. He can briefly explain the nature of the topic as long as his remarks are factual and do not go into the merits of the matter, for or against. He cannot make a speech when the motion to Adjourn is undebatable, it is true; but, these kinds of brief explanations do not constitute a speech in debate, under the rules, and they can be a benefit for the assembly. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 384, ll. 7-17.

AFielder, it is proper for a member to be permitted to explain that he will introduce an important topic if the pending motion to Adjourn is rejected. He can briefly explain the nature of the topic as long as his remarks are factual and do not go into the merits of the matter, for or against. He cannot make a speech when the motion to Adjourn is undebatable, it is true; but, these kinds of brief explanations do not constitute a speech in debate, under the rules, and they can be a benefit for the assembly. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 384, ll. 7-17.

Also, see RONR (10th ed.), pp. 230, 231.

Stand up and address the Chair. If the Chair would know how to deal with a member addressing him when the motion to Adjourn is pending you could simply say, "Mr. Chairman (or President or whatever title you all use)" and allow him to recognize you before proceeding. If it is likely the Chair will be bewildered by you addressing him and might rule you out of order you might need to say outright what the issue is so he (and the other members) know what you are trying to tell them.

Which is basically a nice way of saying "shout it out, brother!" By the time I stand and address the chair (I'm a big guy, but not THAT big) to be recognized the vote is likely to be a done deal. Maybe I could just yell "Not so fast!" as I stand to be recognized!! ;)

tctheatc might yell "Hold that plane!" but most of the rest of us wouldn't get very far with it. I have found "Mr Chairman, look out, a cobra zombie!" and while he's shrieking and leaping for the chandelier, I blurt out my item of business. This doesn't work more than a couple of times, though, so it's a good technique to switch organizations frequently.

Oh, and the vote that's a done deal isn't the donennest of done deals: see p. 232, lines 4 - 11; and if the chairman is heedless or ignorant, invoke the cobra zombies again quickly.

[Edited to re-spell "donenest," to reflect that it means the epitome of doneness.]

tctheatc might yell "Hold that plane!" but most of the rest of us wouldn't get very far with it. I have found "Mr Chairman, look out, a cobra zombie!" and while he's shrieking and leaping for the chandelier, I blurt out my item of business. This doesn't work more than a couple of times, though, so it's a good technique to switch organizations frequently.

Oh, and the vote that's a done deal isn't the donennest of done deals: see p. 232, lines 4 - 11; and if the chairman is heedless or ignorant, invoke the cobra zombies again quickly.

[Edited to re-spell "donenest," to reflect that it means the epitome of doneness.]

No crocodiles?

Archived