The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2 board positins = 2 votes?

Guest alina

Our wrestling club's board consists of 2 co-chairs (one for youth, one for JH/HS), secretary & treasurer, as well as 6 at-large positions for youth and 6 at-large positions for JH/HS. Our youth coach, HS coach & JH coach each have an "automatic" at-large member position. If the youth co-chair is also the youth coach, does he have 2 votes?

I agree that the RONR default is that a member gets one vote no matter how many hats that are being worn. But is there something in RONR that says this or is it just implied by the definition of a member?

It's part of the assumptions underlying the concept of a deliberative assembly. No one's vote is more powerful than anyone else's. And it's emphasized in the section telling what's wrong with proxy voting.

I agree that the RONR default is that a member gets one vote no matter how many hats that are being worn. But is there something in RONR that says this or is it just implied by the definition of a member?

Dan has promised us an affirmative statement in the next Edition. :) For now , "In any decision made, the opinion of each member present has equal weight as expressed by vote - through which the voting member joins in assuming direct personal responsibility for the decision, should his or her vote be on the prevailing side." RONR, p. 2

I'd love to have a conversation elsewhere with anyone who doesn't think that one person/one vote is one of the not listed fundamental principles of parliamentary law RONR says may exist.

Dan has promised us an affirmative statement in the next Edition. :) For now , "In any decision made, the opinion of each member present has equal weight as expressed by vote - through which the voting member joins in assuming direct personal responsibility for the decision, should his or her vote be on the prevailing side." RONR, p. 2

And if that's read in conjunction with RONR, 10th ed., pg. 414, lines 21-25, which clarifies that one person cannot be multiple members, this means one person cannot have more than one vote.

Archived