The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspend the rules

Guest navan004

The by laws clearly state how to change the rules. Can an executive board ask for a motion to suspend the rules in order to change the by laws without doing what the by laws say? Thanks.

No. If the rules could be suspended so you didn't have to follow the requirements to amend the bylaws what would be the use to having the requirements to start off with?

Chris, yes, nothing else pretty much makes sense -- and I suspect that this objection might be a logical absurdity -- but I am looking for back-up, and frustratingly, I don't see it.

-- Remember, if the threshold is not reached, but still the chair declares the bylaws amendment adopted, the adoption would hold without a timely point of order. Doesn't that imply that a valid motion to suspend, instead of the mistake, would be valid too?

Remember, if the threshold is not reached, but still the chair declares the bylaws amendment adopted, the adoption would hold without a timely point of order. Doesn't that imply that a valid motion to suspend, instead of the mistake, would be valid too?

Yes, it does, but when people talk about suspending the rules for changing the Bylaws it usually has to do with rules which may not be suspended, such as notice requirements.

Chris, yes, nothing else pretty much makes sense -- and I suspect that this objection might be a logical absurdity -- but I am looking for back-up, and frustratingly, I don't see it.

-- Remember, if the threshold is not reached, but still the chair declares the bylaws amendment adopted, the adoption would hold without a timely point of order. Doesn't that imply that a valid motion to suspend, instead of the mistake, would be valid too?

The vote need to amend the bylaws can be suspended by a 2/3 vote, if the bylaws can be amended by a 2/3 vote or less, but if say you need a 3/4 vote to amend you well need a 3/4 vote to suspend.

If you need a majority of the entire membership to amend you will need both a 2/3 vote and the vote of majority of the entire membership.

Clearly there is no point in doing so unless you want to make the vote needed to adopt larger than normal.

Other provisions like previous notice cannot be suspended.

The by laws clearly state how to change the rules. Can an executive board ask for a motion to suspend the rules in order to change the by laws without doing what the by laws say? Thanks.

Typically, the authority to amend the bylaws is reserved for the general membership at a meeting of the general membership. The executive board exists as that entity, and with its authority, only at meetings of the executive board. At membership meetings, there is no executive board, although the members of the board may be general members as well, and thus be present as members only at membership meetings. So it (the executive board) can't ask for anything at a membership meeting. They aren't there.

Your rules, of course, may vary.

Do the bylaws clearly state that the executive board can change the bylaws in the first place? If not, then they can't even ask.

Archived