The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ex-officio and voting privledges

Guest Winnsumm

The Bylaws of our organization specify the President  is to be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nomination and oversite committees. The recently elected President  (term more than one year) insists she be notified of all committee agendas and meetings be scheduled at times which make it possible for her to attend. She has been in attendance at a number of committees and dominated the proceeding to such an extent members of more than one group have requested the Bylaws Committee frame an amendment stating ex- officio members serve without vote.  As a member of the Bylaws  Committee i am somewhat reluctant to go forth with this and question whether the action would be appropriate and legitimate.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like the president's right to vote as an ex officio member is not the problem here. An ex officio member, such as your president, of any committee has the same rights, no more and no less, than any other committee member. In other words, the president has only the same right to prior notification of committee agendas and meeting times as any other committee member, and certainly no exclusive right to dominate committee proceedings. 

As an ex officio member, you can't remove the president from any of these committees, but the committees themselves, by majority vote if necessary can, within limits, establish their meeting procedures. You need committee chairs and members to stand up to the president's bullying tactics.

By the way, who established these committees?

Thanks for your help I will inform members of the various groups that it would not be appropriate  to strip ex-officio members of their right to vote.  As to handling matters within the various committee that approach might be useful. However, she ex-officio on the Bylaws Committee I am not looking forward to taking undertaking this. It might be worked out by doing some 'politicing' with various members to lay the necessary groundwork.

As to the committees most are Standing Committees established by the Bylaws. The composition of each varies and how the members are selected/ appointed is designated in our rules.

In one of the other threads in this forum I noted that it is not necessary to designate certain officers  serve as ex-officio committee members. I'm thinking by just deleting reference to ex-officio members. Since most committees allow other members to attend, not participate, perhaps that approach would work. I'll do a bit more homework before recommending same.

1 hour ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

How about getting a new president (see FAQ #20)?

That be an option if the the nessary language as specified in your link was part of our current Bylaws. Alas, it is not there but your response alerted me to the necessity of proposing an amendment so this could be accomplished in the future so thanks for that.

Guest Winnsumm:  I agree with the previous posts but will add some additional random  thoughts:

1.  I agree with g40 that in your particular case, it is probably up to the individual committee chairs to exert their  authority and stand up to the president.  In committee meetings, the committee chairman  "outranks" the president.  The president is there in the same capacity as the other members.

2.  You said something indicating that your bylaws don't permit you to remove the president.  Unless your bylaws specify that the president cannot be removed, she most definitely CAN be removed.  The ease (or difficulty) with which you can do that depends on the wording in your bylaws on the term of office of the president.  If certain language is used, it is relatively easy.  Without that language, it is more difficult. You might re-read FAQ 20.   If I misunderstood what you meant, I apologize.

3. The problem you are having with a president trying to dominate committee meetings is not that common in my experience.  You can amend your bylaws to no longer provide that the president no longer serves ex officio on all committees, but I would advise you to not rush into that.  I  suspect that this problem will work itself out or, at worst, will go away  with a new president. 

4. Perhaps a conversation with the president about this problem will be helpful.  One or two members who she likes and respects might approach her about it or it can be brought up in a board meeting.  She might be honestly under the mistaken belief that as president she has those right to essentially take over and preside at committee meetings.

Archived