Rick I

Resignations

9 posts in this topic

If a board member resigns who has a two year term, can a member who has a one year term resign and take his two year term?

14 minutes ago, Rick I said:

If a board member resigns who has a two year term, can a member who has a one year term resign and take his two year term?

Nobody can "take" the remainder of another board member's term. Whoever has the power to make replacement appointments can accept the resignation(s) and then appoint whoever they want to.

Ok the president has the power to appoint a replacement I understand, but If I have a one year term can I resign and can the president appoint me to the two year term? 

Sure  -- it is up to the president.  But then he/she will have to appoint someone to the remainder of your one-year term.

2 hours ago, Rick I said:

Ok the president has the power to appoint a replacement I understand, but If I have a one year term can I resign and can the president appoint me to the two year term? 

Let's back up. Do your bylaws expressly authorize the president to fill vacancies? If not, he has no such authority. 

You should also be aware that, if the president does appoint you to this vacancy, you may not be getting a full two-year term, depending on far into his two-year term the resigning member was. Appointments to fill vacancies serve for the remainder of the original term.

10 hours ago, Rick I said:

If the President has the power to appoint someone then yes, but check the By-laws to make sure that the President really has the power to do so. But you would not be appointed to a two year term but to the remainder of the term of the position you are appointed to. So if the previous person had done six months of the term then you would only be able to do 18 months - or the duration of the term.

9 hours ago, Rick I said:

Yes the president has the power to appoint a replacement to a vacancies with the Boards approval.

Well, you can certainly resign, but whether you get appointed to the unexpired remainder of the two-year term depends on whether the president nominates you, and the board approves.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor