The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Digitizing Minutes

Guest Sara

Understanding that Minutes must be maintained for the life of the organization, is it now permissible to digitize Minutes and keep them on a zip drive?

Also, re: Minutes, specifically Minutes of Executive Sessions:  our organization had Executive Sessions at which the Executive Director of the organization was NOT included.

Our Regular Meeting Minutes are maintained in the ED's office in a locked file.  Where should the Exec. Session Minutes be maintained?  Someone has suggested they also could be maintained in the same locked file, but in a sealed envelope, so it would be known if someone had reviewed the Minutes.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Well, I don't know the answer, and I don't think there is a clear answer in RONR.   Personally, though, I wouldn't recommend storing files on a zip/flash drive.  They can be lost or damaged easily.  (Paper can of course be damaged easily, but it's harder to lose a few lockers of papers - although people manage.)  I think keeping a hard copy is a good practice.  Stay tuned for other answers.

On the executive session minutes: I think you should maintain them in such a way that they can't be accessed (easily) by someone not entitled to see them, not just provide a way of detecting access.  All minutes should be under the control of the Secretary rather than the ED.  It might make sense to have the ED store them so members can access them, but certainly nothing the ED is not supposed to have should be given to the ED.  Handing someone a sealed envelope and saying "don't look inside" is too much for most humans, I think.

13 hours ago, Guest Sara said:

Understanding that Minutes must be maintained for the life of the organization, is it now permissible to digitize Minutes and keep them on a zip drive?

People still use zip drives?

In any event, yes, the organization is free to store its minutes in whatever manner it wishes.

13 hours ago, Guest Sara said:

Our Regular Meeting Minutes are maintained in the ED's office in a locked file.  Where should the Exec. Session Minutes be maintained?  Someone has suggested they also could be maintained in the same locked file, but in a sealed envelope, so it would be known if someone had reviewed the Minutes.  Any other suggestions?

If this locked file is only accessible to members of the board (or others that the board has granted permission to view minutes of executive sessions), no additional security is required, although the board could adopt this “sealed envelope” method if it wishes.

11 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Well, I don't know the answer, and I don't think there is a clear answer in RONR.   Personally, though, I wouldn't recommend storing files on a zip/flash drive.  They can be lost or damaged easily.  (Paper can of course be damaged easily, but it's harder to lose a few lockers of papers - although people manage.)  I think keeping a hard copy is a good practice.  Stay tuned for other answers.

I don’t think it is necessary or desirable to keep a paper copy of the minutes indefinitely. And while it may be difficult to lose a few lockers of paper, it is very easy to lose some of those papers. I concur that storing the minutes on a tiny physical device, however, is not the best method either - I have lost many flash drives myself.

The best method, in my opinion, would be to use a file storage service with appropriate security controls. With this method, the minutes will be stored on an offsite server with multiple backups.

Edited by Josh Martin

Remember the 3-2-1 rule:

(At least) 3 copies of your data.
(At least) 2 different media.
(At least) 1 must be offsite.

If you keep your original minutes on your hard drive, I'd recommend an external hard drive for a second copy, and the third copy (and offsite) could be something like Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive/etc. That way, if your hard drives fail, or you make a mistake during backup and destroy your local copies, or your headquarters burns down, then you have a remaining backup to go to.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear, this isn't parliamentary advice. This is IT-nerd advice. RONR doesn't say anything about this, but the collective wisdom of system administrators does.

Edited by Benjamin Geiger

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.