The Official RONR Q & A Forums

setting meeting time

Guest Kim Kaufman

A meeting time was set at the previous (monthly) meeting for 7-10, the usual time. The Chair recently sent out an email changing the time for our next meeting from 6:30-10:40 (a little over a week before the next meeting). I object to his changing the meeting without the consenus of the body (and via email since not everyone reads their emails regularly). I can't find any RRO addressing this. Can someone direct me to where this issue is taken up?

You won't, since no rule in RONR authorizes the chair's actions. Any business conducted prior to 7 will be null and void. RONR, p. 244 e)

I'd suggest getting there at 6:30. If you can't convince the chair before then that this meeting time change is invalid, maybe you can at that time. At least you'll be there to note what takes place, so you can raise Points of Order as needed later. Just a thought....

I'm not seeing how that rule applies. There will be enough people supporting the Chair to do whatever he wants because it is to their advantage to start earlier than agreed and make the meeting longer. So there is no place that talks about setting up a meeting time? Thanks for your response.

I'm not seeing how that rule applies. There will be enough people supporting the Chair to do whatever he wants because it is to their advantage to start earlier than agreed and make the meeting longer. So there is no place that talks about setting up a meeting time? Thanks for your response.

However the location, date and time of a meeting are set (in the bylaws, standing rules, motion at previous meeting, written notice, etc), the fact is that once that has been "put out there", RONR does not empower any individual or group to change it. This is in order to protect the rights of absentees, such as those members who won't see the email and miss the first 30 minutes. Unless your bylaws or other governing documents authorized such changes, it is not valid.

The fact that the Chair has support on this is irrelevant. What is happening is wrong, and should not be tolerated. All you can do is fight your best fight, with the rules on your side (RONR, your bylaws, fundamental parliamentary law) and hope for the best.

I'd suggest getting there at 6:30. If you can't convince the chair before then that this meeting time change is invalid, maybe you can at that time. At least you'll be there to note what takes place, so you can raise Points of Order as needed later. Just a thought....

If I and others on my team get there at 6:30 -- won't that conribute to making quorum? I'd like to be there to see what happens and object but then I will be considered "present" won't I?

If I and others on my team get there at 6:30 -- won't that conribute to making quorum? I'd like to be there to see what happens and object but then I will be considered "present" won't I?

I think the fact that a quorum is present at an invalid meeting does not make it a valid meeting nor validate the actions taken. There may be a quorum present without you (or others) being there. Nonetheless, you get first hand knowledge of whatever chicanery ensues, rather depending on hearing it second hand. And you can then take appropriate actions (Point of Order, etc) at the right time. And, by being there, you may just be able to stop the meeting from being called to order until 7pm anyway, if you're persuasive enough with your arguments to the Chair.

Archived