The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot

dorchester-a

I need to know whether the word, "Ballot", automatically implies secret voting (by definition).

I know that elections are usually done by ballot. My question pertains to voting on a motion to choose a contractor from a list of six contractors. This is in an assembly where the members are elected representatives. The bylaws do not require a ballot for selection of a contractor.

Would there be a better word than "Ballot" to use in this situation, where the voting is open and the results are made immediately public?

Yes, a ballot vote under the rules in RONR is a secret vote.

Maybe this is what you're getting at, who knows:

"Taking a vote by roll call (or by yeas and nays, as it is also called) has the effect of placing on the record how each member or, sometimes each delegation, votes; therefore, it has exactly the opposite effect of a ballot vote. It is usually confined to representative bodies, where the proceedings are published, since it enables constituents to know how their representatives voted on certain measures. It should not be used in a mass meeting or in any assembly whose members are not responsible to a constituency." RONR, p. 405

I need to know whether the word, "Ballot", automatically implies secret voting (by definition).

I know that elections are usually done by ballot. My question pertains to voting on a motion to choose a contractor from a list of six contractors. This is in an assembly where the members are elected representatives. The bylaws do not require a ballot for selection of a contractor.

Would there be a better word than "Ballot" to use in this situation, where the voting is open and the results are made immediately public?

When "ballot" is used without qualification, it is usually understood to mean a secret ballot. A roll call vote can be taken to record the votes of individual members when the results are to be made available to an interested constituency. In very large assemblies, a signed ballot can replace a roll call vote to avoid spending the time it takes to call the roll.

The "Member Association representative in attendance" are free, by majority vote, to decide for themselves just how (voice, show of hands, secret ballot, roll call, whatever) the vote will be conducted - RONR, p. 273 ff.

The board cannot dictate this in advance (presuming these is no rule that says they can, of course).

Archived