The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer resignation

David A Foulkes

A reply to a recent thread on officer resignations included the question "is the VP only resigning from the office of VP or from the Board as well?" Got me thinking.

Given: the bylaws define Officers as President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, each of whom is ex-officio a Trustee, and further defines the Board of Trustees as seven members. All Trustee positions are filled when the Vice President resigns.

If the VP only resigns as the VP, but does not resign from the Board, when the VP vacancy is filled the Board now (apparently) consists of eight members. I'm having trouble reconciling how a VP can resign only from office and not from the Board without creating this problem.

The best I've been able to come up with here is that, from my limited experience with other organizations' bylaws in this regard, typically, although I'm sure not exclusively, officers are elected not to the board but to the office and are board members only ex-officio. Thus resigning from office automatically removes them from the board as they are only board members by virtue of their ex-officio status.

As for boards that elect their own officers, and thus they are not ex-officio members but members directly, then I think my question better applies.

So, what if anything am I missing?

Thanks.

So, what if anything am I missing?

Nothing that I can see at first glance.

Except there's no hyphen in "ex officio" when used as an adverbial clause (or whatever the heck it's called). For example, "The bylaws define Officers as President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, each of whom is, ex officio, a Trustee".

The best I've been able to come up with here is that, from my limited experience with other organizations' bylaws in this regard, typically, although I'm sure not exclusively, officers are elected not to the board but to the office and are board members only ex-officio. Thus resigning from office automatically removes them from the board as they are only board members by virtue of their ex-officio status.

You are correct.

If someone is a board member ex officio, i.e., by virtue of an office they hold, then they cease being a member of the board when they cease holding that particular office. You can't resign from the office and yet remain in an ex-officio status; you no longer have the officio that you were ex officio from.

So now you're just "ex". :)

Nothing that I can see at first glance.

Except there's no hyphen in "ex officio" when used as an adverbial clause (or whatever the heck it's called). For example, "The bylaws define Officers as President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, each of whom is, ex officio, a Trustee".

How about checking all 23 times the term is used in RONR with and without hyphens and report back if they're proper. Oh and "anonymous user" isn't very useful any more.

From the Chicago Manual of Style Online

Q. My question relates to commonly used Latin terms. Does one hyphenate if the phrase is used as a compound modifier? Examples: “The board has four ex officio members.” “Ad hoc committee members do not participate in executive sessions.”

A. Latin terms are not usually hyphenated when used as modifiers, perhaps because they used to be (and often still are) set in italics. In any case, the eye groups the Latin terms naturally enough without the aid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the Illinois Institute of Technology

ex officio

Do not italicize. Hyphenate when used as an adjective, e.g., the ex-officio member.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the International Reading Association Style Guide

ex officio (no hyphen, even as adjective preceding its noun; normally roman, not italic)

:blink:

This makes no sense to me. Care to explain?

Dan, he's got it backwards. It's the "Remember me" check mark that converts the session cookie to a "durable" cookie and eliminates the need to sign on and off all the time.

Well, not backwards but I could have explained it better (or not at all!).

When I said that signing in "anonymously" keeps me from having to sign in and out, I meant that doing so doesn't leave the impression that I'm "online" (i.e. sitting at the computer) when that may not be the case. Clearly there's no anonymity for those of us who post under our real names.

When I said that 'not being anonymous' serves no useful function, I mean that knowing who's "online" at any given moment is only useful if Personal Messenger is enabled which, on this forum, it's not. Secondarily, signing in "publicly" lets guests know who's "online" and, frankly, I don't think that's anybody's business. Though I have to say I'm surprised that anyone scrolls down to even look at that list.

FWIW, I think that it would be a good idea to enable Personal Messenger. It might keep some of the off-topic conversations off-topic and anyone who doesn't like it can block it. Or they can sign in "anonymously".

Archived