The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Report of Executive Committee meeting

wwdslovene

Our Ex Com meets and reports before the next meeting of the Board as required. On p. 470 of RR I read: "No action need

be taken on this report, which is generally intended as information only."

I don't understand what "for information only" means. Suppose, for instance, the Ex Com decides to appoint a special

committee to study a revision of the board's bylaws, and it names the members of that committee. Are actions in that

report to be accepted, modified or not enacted? Or just what?

Our Ex Com meets and reports before the next meeting of the Board as required. On p. 470 of RR I read: "No action need

I don't understand what "for information only" means. Suppose, for instance, the Ex Com decides to appoint a special

committee to study a revision of the board's bylaws, and it names the members of that committee. Are actions in that

I highly doubt the executive committee has the power to decide, on its own initiative, "...to appoint a special committee to study a revision of the [executive] board's bylaws [?]...". I think the tail is wagging the dog, here. unsure.gif

Well, for information only would mean that the intent of the report is to inform the board what the EC has done, within its existing powers, but that no action of the board would usually be required.

The problem arises when the EC decides to appoint a bylaws committee. That's typically way outside the purview of an EC's powers. You'll have to check your bylaws to see what your EC is authorized to do, and anything you don't find there (or in RONR) is not allowed. Bylaws revision is not likely to be found among the EC's powers. Therefore, actions in that report that are improper should result in discipline against the EC, or if this was some true emergency action, a vote to ratify (or not) the EC's improper activity, presuming that the board could have authorized the action if there had been time to do so. Again, bylaws amendment is typically not an emergency.

In most cases, the EC is only authorized to carry out the most routine, straightforward, and ordinary actions, like authorizing routine expenses, and handling emergent but non-controversial surprises. The pipes leaked; should we call a plumber? Yeah, I'd think so. The case for doing nothing is pretty weak.

But the EC is not typically a policy-making body, nor should it be because of its small size. Policy would normally be set in an assembly no smaller than the full board, and in the case of bylaws, more typically by the entire general assembly of the society.

If the executive committee has no authority to do something, but the board does, then the EC could certainly include a recommendation in its report to the board, but it would then be up to the board to act on it, amend it, or ignore it, as appropriate. That would be a recommendation, not just information.

Our Ex Com meets and reports before the next meeting of the Board as required.

On p. 470 of RR I read:

"No action need be taken on this report, which is generally intended as information only."

I don't understand what "for information only" means.

It means, the report contains nothing adoptable.-- There are no recommendations inside the report.

The report is just a status report of "where" the committee is, regarding its plan or its list of things to do.

(Example: "We contacted the roofing company ... we got 3 estimates ... we rented a pickup truck ..." etc.)

There is nothing to adopt if a report says, "We got 3 estimates and rented a truck for February 28th."

It is just a status report. It is a snapshot in time.

There is nothing to approve. -- Yet.

Suppose, for instance, the Ex Com decides to appoint a special committee to study a revision of the board's bylaws, and it names the members of that committee.

Are actions in that report to be accepted, modified or not enacted? Or just what?

No, no, no.

A report on a bylaws revision is a status report.

To AMEND ONE'S BYLAWS, you must follow the METHOD OF AMENDMENT per your bylaws's article on amendments.

The bylaws' METHOD OF AMENDMENT will tell you what to do.

(If the bylaws' method of amendment says, "First step, adopt a committee report", then, fine, you DO have something to adopt when the committee finally reports out.)

No, no, no.

A report on a bylaws revision is a status report.

To AMEND ONE'S BYLAWS, you must follow the METHOD OF AMENDMENT per your bylaws's article on amendments.

The bylaws' METHOD OF AMENDMENT will tell you what to do.

(If the bylaws' method of amendment says, "First step, adopt a committee report", then, fine, you DO have something to adopt when the committee finally reports out.)

But it's not a report on a Bylaws revision. It's a report on the board appointing a committee to review the Bylaws. The question seems to be whether the Executive Committee is authorized to do so.

Some organizations, when receiving a report that the group is not taking action on (for one reason or another) will state something like "The Board received a report from the xxx Committee." However should there be recommendations in the report, a motion should be made and voted on to accept the recommendations. The motion will either be approved or defeated.

Archived