The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Convention end time

David A Foulkes

"CASES WHERE THE ASSEMBLY CAN ADJOURN WITHOUT A MOTION. If an hour for adjourning a meeting within a convention or other session of more than one meeting has been prescheduled - either in an agenda or program or by the adoption of a motion setting a time - no motion to adjourn is necessary when that hour arrives. The chair simply announces the fact and declares the meeting adjourned, as described for a recess on page 224. If the assembly does not then wish to adjourn, the matter is handled as a case of setting aside the orders of the day, as explained on page 215 (see also p. 359)." RONR, pp. 232-233

If the standing rules adopted at a convention stipulate that the meeting shall end no later than 5pm, is this a rule that can be suspended to continue the convention beyond that time?

See George's answer.

• The tool to use isn't "Suspend the Rules."

• The tool to use is "Orders Of The Day", i.e., to set aside the orders of the day.

So, "Yes," you can suspend that rule, but you cannot use "Suspend The Rules" to do it. :)

An adjournment hour rule is a rule of order, even if the rule is listed as a "standing rule" in one's convention rules.

As such, it is treated as a rule of order.

But RONR has a specific rule other than "Suspend" for it. The motion, "Orders of the Day" already takes a 2/3 vote. So you ARE suspending the rules, indirectly.

"CASES WHERE THE ASSEMBLY CAN ADJOURN WITHOUT A MOTION. If an hour for adjourning a meeting within a convention or other session of more than one meeting has been prescheduled - either in an agenda or program or by the adoption of a motion setting a time - no motion to adjourn is necessary when that hour arrives. The chair simply announces the fact and declares the meeting adjourned, as described for a recess on page 224. If the assembly does not then wish to adjourn, the matter is handled as a case of setting aside the orders of the day, as explained on page 215 (see also p. 359)." RONR, pp. 232-233

I agree with Mr. Mervosh. Also, if the hour for adjournment has not yet arrived, the program, agenda, or motion can be amended, RONR (10th ed.), §35, pp. 293ff.

Edited slightly to include "motion".

I don't think either answer answers the question.

The rule (and presumably a special rule) could be suspended well prior to the time adjournment.

Without editin my first answer, however, I should be clearer. I do not believe that a standing rule, in general, could fix the time of adjournment; if it would be a convention stating rule, it would function as a special rule of order.

Mr. Foulkes confuses matters by having the hour fixed for adjournment included among the standing rules adopted by the convention rather than as a part of the convention's program where it belongs, but in any event, the convention can be continued beyond the time scheduled for adjournment as outlined on page 359, lines 17-27.

Mr. Foulkes confuses matters by having the hour fixed for adjournment included among the standing rules adopted by the convention rather than as a part of the convention's program where it belongs, but in any event, the convention can be continued beyond the time scheduled for adjournment as outlined on page 359, lines 17-27.

smile.gif Well, this one I'll have to beg off taking credit (or blame) for, as this is our State Association convention and they (the State Board) create the Program as well as the Standing Rules. Not surprising they got this wrong.

Archived