The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Deferred Motion

Guest Jackie

Sorry,I should have been more clear, we postponed a motion pending further review, which was "postpone to a certain time". We are now ready to put it on the table again and we were wondering if it has to be moved by the same person that originally deferred it? From what I am reading it should automatically go on the agenda as unfinished business or business arising? Can you confirm?

As I noted, the chair just brings it up at the right time, the "right time" being the "time certain" to which you postponed the motion.

Nobody has to (re-)move it. It comes up under the Order of Business Category "Unfinished Business and General Orders". The postponed motion is a "general order" for the date/time specified. No such thing as "business arising". What do you mean by it?

As I noted, the chair just brings it up at the right time, the "right time" being the "time certain" to which you postponed the motion.

Nobody has to (re-)move it. It comes up under the Order of Business Category "Unfinished Business and General Orders". The postponed motion is a "general order" for the date/time specified. No such thing as "business arising". What do you mean by it?

I meant unfinished business, ok, so no one needs to re-move it, but will it have to be seconded or just put on the table and voted on. Is there debate??

It would be the issue being discussed (so in the table as you say). Debate would continue until such time as the members (either by consent or by a 2/3 vote) decide to end debate, and then avote would be taken. Of course, at anytime during debate, an amendment could be made (and either passed or rejected), the motion could be postponed indefinitely or until a specific time, referred to a committee, etc.

Who needs to move a previously deferred motion when it is being bought back to the table? Does the person that originally deferred it have to bring it back?

No. If it's taken up at the following meeting no motion is required, and even if it were, anyone could move it. Once a motion has been placed before the assembly, the motion is no longer the property of the mover, but belongs to the entire assembly. There are no rules in RONR that give the mover of a motion any special powers similar to this.

Archived