The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Asking a member to leave a meeting

brie88

Are you allowed to ask a member of our board of Trustees to leave the room, either by vote or polite question, in the event of a conflict of interest which involved this member? If I can get an answer if there is a difference for regular members and ex-offico members?

You can ask a member to leave the meeting but the member (who has a right to attend per RONR p. 625) is free to decline to leave. An ex-officio member is still a member the only difference is how that person became a member.

Are you allowed to ask a member of our board of Trustees to leave the room, either by vote or polite question, in the event of a conflict of interest which involved this member? If I can get an answer if there is a difference for regular members and ex-offico members?

No. And, it is impolite to ask someone to leave who has every bit as much right to be there as you do, so don't do it.

You can ask, but it sort of makes you look like a real low-life if you do. And if you asked me to leave, I'd explain that to you.

Archived