The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations For an Election Question

TROfficial

Baring an election is a few months away....assuming Roberts Rules are folled...Can a president of an organization re open the nominations without a majority vote from the floor?

My president is insisting that because the election is months away and because it wasn't held immediately that nominations theoretically never close until the time of the election.

"Election months away" Sounds as though you have special rules.

See RONR p. 416 ff. for the "standard" (default) rules.

We have no special rules other then to follow Roberts Rules. My organization only meets twice a year. We have our nominations at the first meeting and the election to follow at the next meeting. We have done it this way for years without problems and historically nominations were closed at set meeting with the election to follow.

We always revert back to Roberts Rules regarding any questions.

What i'm getting at is the fact that for the first time in 30 years our president re opened the nominations at the meeting which we had our election without a vote from the floor.

This is what im' questioning....I don't think he followed the rules properly....

And, if no body objected or raised the point of order that nominations were closed at your previous meeting when the pres re-opened them at the current meeting, it is a done deal. Any floor nominations that came along then are proper as was your election.

Points of order MUST be timely to have teeth.

Can a president of an organization re open the nominations without a majority vote from the floor?

Not unilaterally, no. A majority vote or unanimous consent is required to reopen nominations.

Unless the rules of the organization specifically set out that the nominations must be made at a prior meeting, and no motion to close nominations has been made, then nominations are still in order.

I disagree that a motion is required to close nominations. In the usual case, the President declares nominations closed when no further nominations are offered. Nominations are still closed at a subsequent meeting unless the assembly decides to reopen them.

Not unilaterally, no. A majority vote or unanimous consent is required to reopen nominations.

Since you apparently don't agree with my suggestion, how about if the chair informs the assembly it's in order to open nominations again if they so choose? Members don't always understand what rights they have......would that work?

Since you apparently don't agree with my suggestion, how about if the chair informs the assembly it's in order to open nominations again if they so choose? Members don't always understand what rights they have......would that work?

Well, I agree that it would be appropriate to reopen if months have gone by since the last nominations.

I think the chair could assume unanimous consent, as, "If there is no objection, nominations will be reopened for all elective offices prior to the election. Is there objection? <pause> The chair hears none. Nominations are now open for the office of...."

It might be a good idea to first remind the assembly who was nominated already, as half of them have probably forgotten.

I'm fine with that. I would even be fine with the chair taking the initiative and stating "If there is no objection, nominations will be reopened."

Archived