The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Threats made during an Election Meeting

Guest Chris Darabant

Guest Chris Darabant

Hello,

My question revolves around a recent experience that occured during an annual Board Meeting in which Board of Directors and Officers were to be elected for the upcoming year.

During the meeting and prior to the election, one of the current board members (who was also running for the board again and who's wife was the current Chairman" shouted out "If ( a particular person) is voted against and not elected, both myself and my wife will quit".

Possibly, this could have had an impact on how members voted.

Is this behavior legal according to Robert's Rules? Was the final election still valid?

Thanks, Chris

It is an interesting form of debate: "If I can't have things my way, I will pick up the marbles and go home. So there!"

I trust the other person was indeed not elected and then you all accepted the resignation of the grouser. Sounds like a board member you could do very well without!

Besides, it sounds more like a promise than a "threat".

Well, if he and his wife want to quit let them. Too bad nobody thought of it at the time, but someone could have jumped up and moved to accept the resignations - as one could argue that the person was offering his resignation along with his wife's. If the motion was made to accept the resignation, something tells me that the member would have back tracked and withdraw the resignations.

During the meeting and prior to the election, one of the current board members (who was also running for the board again and who's wife was the current Chairman" shouted out "If ( a particular person) is voted against and not elected, both myself and my wife will quit".

This sounds like an endorsement of Candidate X if ever I've heard one. And nominations are debatable, so....... smile.gif Although I think the shouting was inappropriate and might have warranted a calming mention by the Chair.

Possibly, this could have had an impact on how members voted.

Then you've got other issues beyond this. But you knew that.

This sounds like an endorsement of Candidate X if ever I've heard one. And nominations are debatable, so....... :)

At the same time, it could be taken as a resignation - as the person is threatening to quit. Personally, any type of intimidation should be frowned upon - and this could very easily be taken as an intimidation (i.e. do something or something else will occur.)

I would say "yes" and "yes." Saying, "If X is such a poor fix for this office that I won't stay in the society if he is elected," does seem like a form of debate on nominations.

Effective? Maybe not, but not out of order.

Well, it can come down to how the member said this. If it was like J.J. mentioned, I'd agree it could come out as a recommendation. However, if it came out as a "Don't vote for Joe or else" then it sounds more like intimidation.

In one organization I belong to, a director threatened to resign if a member did not stop asking difficult questions. When pressed to resign by other members, the director backed down. It all depends on how the issue was raised.

Archived