The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Large Committees - Debate

J. J.

If a larger committee functions more like a deliberative assembly, rather than a committee, the PQ would be routinely in order, in my view.

You may be thinking of independent assemblies that are sometimes called committees. However, as I have rather forcefully been told, the Previous Question is not allowed in the kinds of subordinate committees discussed in §50. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 190, l. 12; p. 483, ll. 19-22.

You may be thinking of independent assemblies that are sometimes called committees. However, as I have rather forcefully been told, the Previous Question is not allowed in the kinds of subordinate committees discussed in §50. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 190, l. 12; p. 483, ll. 19-22.

We are not "forcefully" told that because of p. 483, l. 10-12. If the standard is "the same as boards," as alluded to in l. 12-14, it would be in order to limit debate. I do not believe the text is clear on this point, hence the question.

We are not "forcefully" told that because of p. 483, l. 10-12. If the standard is "the same as boards," as alluded to in l. 12-14, it would be in order to limit debate. I do not believe the text is clear on this point, hence the question.

Page 183, lines 24-25, and page 190, line 12, seem pretty clear to me.

JJ - I read the first part of your citation (l. 10-14) to say "small committee = small board" as far as the informalities of holding meetings noted on p. 470-471. "Large" committees may function better with the more formal procedures of a regular meeting. However, some things are just different, regardless of committee size, and those are detailed in ll. 14-22. Reconsider is handled differently, the chair is more active, and debate limits are not allowed.

Archived