The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Order

Bill G.

Our bylaws have a section that specifically says that our meetings are to be conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules. Our bylaws state that all meeting votes taken are to be a majority vote except for a change in the bylaws which requires a 2/3 vote.

A member is not happy that we vote so quickly on issues of public policy (we are a small advocacy group..about 16 or so people) and is planning to introduce a motion that would automatically suspend action on any issue of public policy for 30 days. No debate will be permitted under this new rule until the 30 day period has elapsed.

Would a point of order be in order when the motion is made? I think it changes the bylaws by bypassing the Robert's Rules, i.e. the various motions that can be made (postpone indefinitely, postpone to a date certain, table the motion) and the fact that as I read them, Robert's Rules does not have an "automatic" provision.

Thank you.

Our bylaws have a section that specifically says that our meetings are to be conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules. Our bylaws state that all meeting votes taken are to be a majority vote except for a change in the bylaws which requires a 2/3 vote.

A member is not happy that we vote so quickly on issues of public policy (we are a small advocacy group..about 16 or so people) and is planning to introduce a motion that would automatically suspend action on any issue of public policy for 30 days. No debate will be permitted under this new rule until the 30 day period has elapsed.

Would a point of order be in order when the motion is made? I think it changes the bylaws by bypassing the Robert's Rules, i.e. the various motions that can be made (postpone indefinitely, postpone to a date certain, table the motion) and the fact that as I read them, Robert's Rules does not have an "automatic" provision.

Thank you.

Not sure of the exact language in your bylaws (and please don't post them here) but typically the section on Parliamentary Authority states that RONR shall govern when not inconsistent with the bylaws. That means, if RONR says X and the bylaws say Y, then Y it is. The bylaws take precedence over RONR. When the bylaws don't cover a particular point, then you turn to RONR to see if it does.

So, "bypassing the Robert's Rules" is what bylaws are all about most of the time. If you don't like this new motion and it's effect on your business, vote it down.

Thank you.

It appears that your member intends to make a motion seeking adoption of a special rule of order (which, if adopted, will take precedence over the rules in RONR), and if we take you at your word as to what your bylaws say, such a motion can be adopted by a majority vote.

Based solely upon what you have posted, there does not appear to be any grounds upon which to base a point of order.

Adoption of this special rule of order will require a 2/3 vote (or a majority of the entire membership).

Our bylaws state that all meeting votes taken are to be a majority vote except for a change in the bylaws which requires a 2/3 vote.

If there isn't some qualifying language that Danny Fox didn't tell us about it sounds like the bylaws are saying that every vote (except amending the bylaws) would only need to be a majority vote (which is NOT a good idea since that would mean that it would only take a majority vote to Suspend the Rules, order the Previous Question, Limit or Extend Debate, Object to the Consideration of the Question, etc).

Thank you.

This bylaw is almost certainly not in the best interests of the group, since it appears to permit a slim majority to suspend the rules in such a way as to deprive a minority of its right to present its side of a pending question.

Archived