The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to break a tie vote of the board

Guest Barbara Crafts

Our board of directors is comprised of 7 people. 1 person resigned. 2 people are interested in the position. The board is voting 3 to 3 (3 votes for each person) How do they break the tie? Can;t find anything on this anywhere! Meeting is Thursday, need answer ASAP. Thanks.

Our board of directors is comprised of 7 people. 1 person resigned. 2 people are interested in the position. The board is voting 3 to 3 (3 votes for each person) How do they break the tie? Can;t find anything on this anywhere! Meeting is Thursday, need answer ASAP. Thanks.

You continue to vote, until someone receives a majority. Perhaps another candidate would represent a viable compromise. Perhaps more debate is needed.

It's not that I didn't like any answers.....but our board meeting is due to happen Thursday at 9 am and I'm getting desperate for an answer from anywhere! I thought maybe by putting the question only on the advanced board it wouldn't get seen as much as by putting it on the general board.

Board members are regularly voted on at the annual meeting. This is a vacant position due to a resignation, so the person filling it will just fill out that term. And yes, we know that the vote will be a split vote. From what I've seen, the answer seems to be in requiring a re-vote until someone caves. This is a contentious vote, so that's going to be difficult.

Archived