The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absentia

Guest Shelly

At a recent meeting of our club, four prospective members were up for membership. Our club votes by secret ballot with a two-thirds of the attending membership voting in favor requirement for acceptance. There were twenty seven members present. Three prospective members were NOT voted in. On the fourth, she received 17 yea, 9 nay and one abstaining. Our club has voted to "round up (five or more) or round down (less that five) in to make it easier to on us! The one voter who abstained told us that she also voted to abstain on the other three prospects. If we round it off, it is 17.33333. Should the one prospect now be a member?

At a recent meeting of our club, four prospective members were up for membership. Our club votes by secret ballot with a two-thirds of the attending membership voting in favor requirement for acceptance. There were twenty seven members present. Three prospective members were NOT voted in. On the fourth, she received 17 yea, 9 nay and one abstaining. Our club has voted to "round up (five or more) or round down (less that five) in to make it easier to on us! The one voter who abstained told us that she also voted to abstain on the other three prospects. If we round it off, it is 17.33333. Should the one prospect now be a member?

A 2/3 vote is (In my opinion) very easy to determine, without rounding. Just double the nays and if the yes votes would need to be double that the have the 2/3. You are, in my opinion, making things more difficult by rounding (as well as not being correct).

A 2/3 vote is (In my opinion) very easy to determine, without rounding. Just double the nays and if the yes votes would need to be double that the have the 2/3.

Except that what's (apparently) required in this instance is the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members present. So no need to "double the nays".

Guest Gary c Tesser not a zomb

Oh. So let me see if I have this right. I wrote "double the non-nays" when I meant, and should have written, "double the non-ayes." And this. -- THIS.

-- -- THIS is what you choose to quibble about.

O What are things coming to? Board members all over are being eaten by crocodiles trained by registered parliamentarians; postal workers and UPS drivers and Amazon.com shipment officers being ravished in hysterical sublime worshipful gratitude as the still ink-soggy copies of RONR 11th dribble out across this great nation (and parts of Canada) so that these, the elite, the cognoscenti, can in ecstatic rapturous glee can ... can ... can post citations on the Robert's Rules Website using page numbers different from the boring ol' pages they've been using since 2000.

Great Steaming Cobnuts. Fine, David, I admit it, I made a mistake. I'm sorry, okay? Can we move on now, like gentlemen, or gerbils if you prefer?

Oh. So let me see if I have this right. I wrote "double the non-nays" when I meant, and should have written, "double the non-ayes." And this. -- THIS.

O What are things coming to? Board members all over are being eaten by crocodiles trained by registered parliamentarians; postal workers and UPS drivers and Amazon.com shipment officers being ravished in hysterical sublime worshipful gratitude as the still ink-soggy copies of RONR 11th dribble out across this great nation (and parts of Canada) so that these, the elite, the cognoscenti, can in ecstatic rapturous glee can ... can ... can post citations on the Robert's Rules Website using page numbers different from the boring ol' pages they've been using since 2000.

Great Steaming Cobnuts. Fine, David, I admit it, I made a mistake. I'm sorry, okay? Can we move on now, like gentlemen, or gerbils if you prefer?

Gary, are you experimenting with a new recipe for this year's Christmas party punch?

My quibble is with the fact that you log in as various guests, which makes it difficult to search for your posts with which I can enrapture myself for entertainment and edification (and to distract myself from the looming danger of the crocodiles).

Archived