The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Two Questions

Guest guest student

This is covered by the "Public Session" subsection in RONR(11th ed.), pp. 96-7. The most relevant portion for your question is:

A deliberative assembly or committee is normally entitled to determine whether nonmembers may attend or be excluded from its meetings (even when not in executive session). . . . In meetings of many public bodies, such as school boards, the public may attend. Similarly, in some private organizations such as church councils, parishioners may be permitted to attend. These attendees are not members of the meeting body and ordinarily have no right to participate. Some bodies, especially public ones, may invite nonmembers to express their views, but this is done under the control of the presiding officer subject to any relevant rules adopted by the body and subject to appeal by a member. Often, by rule or practice, time limits are placed on speakers and relevance is closely monitored.

I imagine there are more than a few who would like to be flies on the wall during some of our authorship team debates while we are preparing a new edition. However, we meet in executive session -- and you know what that means! (No fly leaves the meeting room alive . . . .)

This I must remember for teaching executive session!

And I guess that explains what all those spiders were there for. :)

Archived