The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple candidates

Guest Steven Martin

Thee rules state that if there are multiple openings (IE 4 board openings) and more than that number of candidates run (IE 6 run for the 4 positions) that those that receive a majority win. Only one candidate can get a majority ( one more than 1/2) . Does that mean that you have to hold 4 elections, dropping the majority candidate that won after each vote? I've seen it done that the top 4 vote getters win, but doesn't look legal using the rules?

Thee rules state that if there are multiple openings (IE 4 board openings) and more than that number of candidates run (IE 6 run for the 4 positions) that those that receive a majority win. Only one candidate can get a majority ( one more than 1/2) . Does that mean that you have to hold 4 elections, dropping the majority candidate that won after each vote? I've seen it done that the top 4 vote getters win, but doesn't look legal using the rules?

It is not correct to say that only one candidate can get a majority.

It depends on your method of voting. Are you giving a single ballot and asking members to vote for 4? It would still be possible for enough members to give a majority to more than one candidate, but you would likely face a run-off election for the remaining candidates. I imagine this would cause some confusion!

The use of a single ballot when voting for several positions on a board is not at all unusual. In fact, it's the right way to do it. The correct procedure is described in RONR (11th ed.) on page 441, lines 11-24.

It depends on your method of voting. Are you giving a single ballot and asking members to vote for 4? It would still be possible for enough members to give a majority to more than one candidate, but you would likely face a run-off election for the remaining candidates. I imagine this would cause some confusion!

It is a single ballot asking for four votes. I guess I do not understand "majority" if it is not one more than half!

The use of a single ballot when voting for several positions on a board is not at all unusual. In fact, it's the right way to do it. The correct procedure is described in RONR (11th ed.) on page 441, lines 11-24.

Reading what George Mervosh said, how can more than one candidate get "more than half" of the votes? It may be obvious to an expert like you, but I guess I am not looking at it the same way. Will your book explain it so that I can undarstand this?

Will your book explain it so that I can undarstand this?

Yes, it is pretty clear: "In an election of members of a board or committee in which votes are cast in one segment of the ballot for multiple positions on the board or committee, every ballot with a vote for one or more candidates is counted as one vote cast, and a candidate must receive a majority of the total of such votes to be elected." RONR (11th ed.) p. 441, ll 11-16. So, for example, if there are 25 ballots cast that have votes for one or more of the candidates, each candidate must receive at least 13 votes to be elected. Since votes can be cast for as many candidates as there are positions to fill, nultiple candidates can receive 13 or more votes.

Yes, it is pretty clear: "In an election of members of a board or committee in which votes are cast in one segment of the ballot for multiple positions on the board or committee, every ballot with a vote for one or more candidates is counted as one vote cast, and a candidate must receive a majority of the total of such votes to be elected." RONR (11th ed.) p. 441, ll 11-16. So, for example, if there are 25 ballots cast that have votes for one or more of the candidates, each candidate must receive at least 13 votes to be elected. Since votes can be cast for as many candidates as there are positions to fill, nultiple candidates can receive 13 or more votes.

Thank you - NOW I get it! Was not looking at it that way!

To take it a bit further...would you still follow the rule about dropping the last-placed candidate?

Per RONR, no candidate is dropped from re-balloting, although such a candidate may withdraw his name from consideration voluntarily. Any such rule would need to be in the bylaws or other governing documents.

To take it a bit further...would you still follow the rule about dropping the last-placed candidate?

RONR has no such rule. In fact, the RONR rule is just the opposite; you never drop a non-majority candidate from additional rounds of voting unless your bylaws require it, or the candidate voluntarilly withdraws. If some candidates, but not enough to fill all positions, get a majority, those who did get a majority are elected, and would not be included in the additional voting; but all non-elected canddaites would be included.

Archived