The Official RONR Q & A Forums

stopping a preplanned election so as to force accountability of inventory and finaces

Guest WATCHER

A fire protective association has By-laws heavily leaning towards

board control; and

Little recognition of the dues paying members is afforded

in the event of needed adjustments to said by-laws except at a yearly meeting

or specially called preadvertised setting.

Recently one board member believes he has discovered a greater need for

the chiefs accountability with reference to credit card abuse; and

there is a likely hood of equipment having found it’s way into the chief’s possession.

As A member I would like to freeze any pending association activity until such time

that an audit and accounting of all physical equipment be reconciled prior to any

further election processes/board activity which may in turn aid in a cover up of improprieties.

The By-laws have one redeeming Article through which the membership may have recourse to momentarily regain the integrity of the association once the outcome

of said audit findings are reported and if any infractions or violation of state statue

exists.

Is there a way to somehow invoke action as the article reads…

Roberts Rules of Order, newly revised, shall govern this organization in all matters of procedure which are not in conflict or covered by these By-Laws

Does "tell us" mean post the By-laws?

No. We don't do bylaw interpretation here. What Mr. Cisar meant (tied in with that) is that it will be up to your group to determine what the meaning of your bylaws is, so you tell us, as opposed to we tell you. Some principles of interpretation can be found beginning on page 588 of RONR (11th Edition).

I'd say you also may have some legal issues regarding the apparent/alleged misuse of funds. You might want to seek legal council. RONR won't help you with that, but might be able to help you with getting this person out of a position of authority.

No. We don't do bylaw interpretation here. What Mr. Cisar meant (tied in with that) is that it will be up to your group to determine what the meaning of your bylaws is, so you tell us, as opposed to we tell you. Some principles of interpretation can be found beginning on page 588 of RONR (11th Edition).

I think he meant that if you contacted a local Parliamentarian, you might be able to find some assistance with interpreting the By-laws, which is more than what we can do here.

It might be possible to move to postpone the election when it becomes pending via the subsidiary motions to fix the time to which to adjourn and postpone.

Why not simply elect new Board members who will follow the wishes of the general membership? Seems the better option to me.

As A member I would like to freeze any pending association activity until such time

that an audit and accounting of all physical equipment be reconciled prior to any

further election processes/board activity which may in turn aid in a cover up of improprieties.

Can you be more clear what exactly you are hoping to 'freeze'? If an election (as suggested by your thread title), Mr. Mervosh has responded to that. Are there other activities you are hoping to stop in their tracks?

What kind of 'board activity' do you have in mind? Remember that members of the board can get together and talk/plan/connive/scheme to their hearts' content, even if they are somehow prevented from holding a formal meeting of the board.

Archived