The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes and Nominations

Guest Learning

Do the names of those nominated for each office go into the minutes by rule? I see nothing regarding nominations or other proposals to fill a blank in the section on minutes, or did I miss it? Or is it simply a part of the "all main motions" and a given?

Hmm.

Do all proposals to fill a blank go in the minutes? (Without looking, I think not.)

Do all failed proposed amendments, or other secondary motions, go in the minutes? (Some do, some don't.)

I'm leaning towards "no" to both questions.

(I'm itching to cite the top of p. 440, but shall manfully refrain.)

Well somebody sure as heck better be writing down the names of the nominees.

One would think so.

But, assuming a ballot vote with a blank piece of paper, I'm wondering if it matters if the names of the nominees are (permanently) recorded or not. If the purpose of nominations is to narrow the voters attention (and thus ensure a majority vote), writing the names on a blackboard (or its modern equivalent) should suffice, no?

One would think so.

But, assuming a ballot vote with a blank piece of paper, I'm wondering if it matters if the names of the nominees are (permanently) recorded or not. If the purpose of nominations is to narrow the voters attention (and thus ensure a majority vote), writing the names on a blackboard (or its modern equivalent) should suffice, no?

Sure, that's why I said somebody better be writing them down :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived