The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Claytis

They should follow the amendment provisions which should be located in the bylaws Usually that provision would be located near the end of the document. If the bylaws are silent on the subject they can be amended by a 2/3 vote if previous notice was given and without previous notice a majority of the entire membership is required.

If one is looking to amend an already exsisting bylaw, how do they go about doing it?

Specifically, how should the proposed bylaw change be worded and formatted?

What should a proper amendment include?

Those are pretty general questions but, for starters, you might want to indicate the current text and the proposed text.

For example, "I move that the word "beverages", in Article IV, be changed to "beer".

Those are pretty general questions but, for starters, you might want to indicate the current text and the proposed text.

For example, "I move that the word "beverages", in Article IV, be changed to "beer".

Would a proposal to amend this motion by striking out "beer" and inserting "Beefeater" be beyond the scope of the proposed amendment?

Would a proposal to amend this motion by striking out "beer" and inserting "Beefeater" be beyond the scope of the proposed amendment?

Better to make the insertion "beer and Beefeater," just to be sure the motion is in order.

Archived