The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Prez resigns, VP declines to assume Presidency, who rules?

Guest akamaibuy

Outgoing president announced resignation in advance to Board and then at meeting of members (effective at the end of that meeting)   President stated that nominations will be taken for the vacated presidency.  Member of board corrected president clarifying that the position vacated is that of VP and the VP should take president's job for the remainder of the term (no specific rules exist for the association) President got testy and demanded to immediately have the RONR rule pointed out. While board was member looking for rule in RONR, VP declined and stated he wanted to stay VP, but would take on president's responsibility only until the next monthly meeting.  What happened next was that the board member searching for rule decided not to hold up meeting and deferred to VP's wishes (not familiar with brand new book and never thought that issue would be challenged...thought it was common knowledge and practice)  This is a completely volunteer association and no one felt VP could be compeled to comply.  Also, he is a good person to stay as VP to keep any president in line (we have a lot of prima donna/dictator wanna-bes waiting in the wings). One motion was made and seconded (no vote) for a  nomination. President announced nominations would be accepted up until and including the next monthly meeting at which time the  election would take place.   What should have happened?  Thank you.

The VP has no choice. Upon a vacancy being created in the office of President the VP automatically becomes President and there is a vacancy in the office of VP (RONR p. 575 ll. 9-17). If the (now) President doesn't want to fulfill the duties he agreed to in becoming VP (taking over as President if the office becomes vacant) he can feel free to resign from being President (or should be removed from office if he refuses to perform his duties and won't resign) which would create a vacancy in both offices. Both offices would need to be filled though I would not re-elect someone who is going to be derelict in his duties if the Presidency becomes vacant again.

No one asked for a motion to accept the president's resignation. Do we need to vote on it at the next meeting? If so, I suppose we should do it before voting on a new president. For now, everyone seems willing to accept the VP staying in his position.

At the next elections, in November, we will be sure to advise everyone of their respsonsibilities regarding office. As I understand it this succession process only holds true for the VP and not the secretary, treasurer, and others correct?

For now, everyone seems willing to accept the VP staying in his position.

Unfortunately, for that to happen the new president (the former vice-president) will have to resign and be appointed/elected as vice-president. He can't simply stay where he is because the minute the president's resignation is accepted (and, yes, you should do that formally), the vice-president becomes the president.

As I understand it this succession process only holds true for the VP and not the secretary, treasurer, and others correct?

Correct.

A vacancy wouldn't exist until the resignation is officially accepted by whichever body is authorized to fill the vacancy for VP. As for the VP wanting to shirk his duties as VP and not move up as President that should be as unacceptable as Vice President Biden deciding that he likes being the tie-breaking vote in the Senate and prefers his office in the EEOB over the Oval Office. When he accepted the office of VP he knew that one of the primary duties of being VP is that he would become President if the President resigned, died, or was removed from office and should NOT be allowed to get away with being derelict in his duties just because all the sudden he has more duties. If he wasn't willing to perform ALL of his duties of office he should not have sought or accepted the office in the first place.

Maybe Veep is getting a bad rap. Veep said he would perform the duties of president until the next meeting. In other words, Veep simply resigned in advance the same as Prez. The one strike on Veep is his assumption that he could return without election to the office of VP. Prez, on the other hand, tried to hold an election when an election was improper - strike one. Then Prez got huffy when a valid point of order was raised - strike two. Finally, unless an office can be "vacant-in-advance" because it has been "resigned-in-advance", Prez held an election for an office that was not vacant - strike three. Veep looks pretty good up beside of that. P.S. This place's security check is cruel and unusual punishment for old geezers like me.

Sure. Not sure I want to be a member yet. I'd like to see how this forum treats its guests first.

Guests are the bread and butter of the forum. Without them, we'd be a bunch of parliamentarians sitting around humming to ourselves waiting for one of us to post some obscure question in the Advanced Discussion forum just for fun. That said, membership does get you a lifetime pass by the sƎnʇiNɐL at the door. If you wish, though, you can hang out with Guest_Edgar, who can likely give you some tips on deciphering the secret codes.

No one asked for a motion to accept the president's resignation. Do we need to vote on it at the next meeting? If so, I suppose we should do it before voting on a new president. For now, everyone seems willing to accept the VP staying in his position.

At the next elections, in November, we will be sure to advise everyone of their respsonsibilities regarding office. As I understand it this succession process only holds true for the VP and not the secretary, treasurer, and others correct?

Yes, you are correct, which would mean that you already know that your first question makes no sense because there would be no voting for the office of president unless the VP resigns, in which case he can't stay VP.

If your group chooses to ignore RONR and just do things your own way, what difference does it make what RONR says?

So back to the OP.

President resigns. Whether or not accepted they decide not to show up or fulfill his duties. VP doesn't want the job so he resigns but is no longer VP either (to which he probably :o ). Proper procedure would be to have the Secretary run the election for a new chair pro tem. Depending on how your bylaws are written, the Secretary may have to do this every meeting until new elections are held.

Archived