The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion To Postpone

Guest Bill_H

A motion was made and seconded. Discussion ensued. A second motion to "postpone the vote of the first motion until X date" was made and seconded. Discussion ensued. The motion to postpone was voted on and passed by a majority.

Was that proper or did we mess up? Thanks.

Bill_H

maybe this is picking fly crap out of pepper, but is it proper to postpone specifically the vote? Should it not be the pending matter itself? I suppose the distinction I am drawing is that when the matter is again picked up, it is picked up as it had been left off and (more) discussion can ensue. I would think it improper to say that they had decided to postpone "the vote (only) of the first motion" so that when the matter is resumed, no discussion is allowed and they move right to voting.

(not saying that's what Bill intended, but just that it could be read that way)

Quite correct, tcth..., , to be exact, the motion, not the "vote" is postponed. When the motion comes up, presumably at the next meeting as a "General Order" -- see p. 358 -- it is open for debate, further amendment, and all the other (appropriate) parliamentary motions (including postponing it again).

Thanks, JDStackpole and tctheatc. It was our intention that the motion be taken up again, with discussion, and then vote. We just wanted more time to obtain additional information regarding the matter under discussion before we voted.

The "X date" will occur after our next meeting. What would have been the proper form of the motion to postpone in that situation? Would a different motion have been more appropriate?

Properly, the "X Date" should have been the next meeting (or before), not past it. RONR, p. 183.

Then at that meeting, you could postpone things again if you had not yet gathered all the needed info.

Is the "X Date" essentially two meetings in the future? Or perhaps you plan to hold a "Special Meeting"to discuss the issue? If so, be sure to follow all the rules for calling Special Meetings found in your bylaws.

As long as there are no objections (at one of the intermediate meeting) and all are happy, no problem.

If someone (who has been reading the book -- gotta keep an eye on them guys) does fuss and insist that the issue be brought up "right away", the fair thing is to do so... and then promptly postpone the motion to the next meeting.

See http://www.robertsru...ist.html#2006_8 I guess I'm the only one who believes the motion postponed too far is dead and can be made anew at anytime? (Maybe JDS mean that too)

No, I think you're quite correct.

The leap-frog postponement is forbidden because it would prevent intervening meetings from taking up the matter. Well, since they cannot be so prevented, they're not, and they can take up the same matter if they want to.

Referring to a committee would make it a bit more difficult for intervening meetings to take it up, but not impossible.

See http://www.robertsru...ist.html#2006_8 I guess I'm the only one who believes the motion postponed too far is dead and can be made anew at anytime? (Maybe JDS mean that too)

No, I don't think I did.

It was improper to postpone past the next meeting to be sure, but since no point of order was (evidently) raised at the time of the rule violation (and it isn't a "continuing breach"), done is done.

I suppose the way to formally undo the excessive postponement, would be to amend something previously adopted at an intervening meeting. What would be amended would be the length of time of postponement such that the issue would come up now, at the meeting in process.

No, I don't think I did.

It was improper to postpone past the next meeting to be sure, but since no point of order was (evidently) raised at the time of the rule violation (and it isn't a "continuing breach"), done is done.

In this case, what was done wasn't done (RONR, 11th ed., p. 265, ll. 7-10).

Archived