The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Questions during meetings

Guest Janet

It seems practical to me. However, the Board could always pass a motion specifically allowing questions during the presentation. Remember, the Board - not the Chairman - ultimately decides what happens during a meeting.

I agree with what R. Ed says, and commend its sagacity. (The statement's sagacity, not R. Ed's.) I'll add that I think it would be better if the board adopts a motion that interrupting a presentation is NOT allowed, except for stated exceptions.

-- JDS, you'd say yes, the chair can require board members to pipe down? I think I agree with your point about courtesy, but you think he has the authority?

I'll add that I think it would be better if the board adopts a motion that interrupting a presentation is NOT allowed, except for stated exceptions.

I'm not sure it makes sense to try to codify common courtesy. At a meeting of a (small?) board there may be instances where frequent "interruptions" of a guest speaker might be perfectly acceptable (and even appreciated by the speaker if it helps him clarify his presentation). On the other hand, there may be instances where the members should sit in rapt silence until the speaker, hours later, is finished. I suppose, for example, that I'd let Nelson Mandela [or insert the name of your own hero here] speak as long as he wanted. Conversely, I might interrupt [insert your choice here] as soon as he opened his mouth.

-- JDS, you'd say yes, the chair can require board members to pipe down? I think I agree with your point about courtesy, but you think he has the authority?

Isn't it true a request for information can only interrupt if it requires immediate attention? I'm trying to envision a set of facts where during the actual presentation of a report, where no motion is pending, a request for information could interrupt the reporting member. I'm at a loss to do that, but someone will come by and think of a set I'm sure.

Now can he rule in advance of the interruption, no. But perhaps a gentle reminder of the rule in RONR would be sufficient?

Archived