The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Duties of VP once President has indicated forthcoming resignation?

sMargaret

I'm looking for some guidance with an awkward situation.

I'm the vice president of an association, and the president of the association has announced in an email to the board that he intends to announce his resignation as president at a public meeting. The meeting is not a meeting of the association or of the board, but is a meeting at which our association has the customary right to have a spokesperson make a short presentation.

We do not have a regularly scheduled general meeting for a few months. The board would be empowered to accept this resignation should a board meeting be called (as the board has the power to appoint vacancies to the board, and the bylaws do not say anything else regarding resignations).

The president does not appear interested in calling a board meeting or general meeting himself. I should probably note that the president appears upset that fellow board members are pointing out that he does not have the right to make unilateral decisions on behalf of the general membership or the board, but needs to consult with members. "Come, let us reason together" does not appear to be having an impact.

What are my obligations as vice president in this?

Secondly, is it at all appropriate to mention to the chair of this public meeting that apparently, this might happen? This is an organization that our association needs to remain on good terms with.

Thank you!

You as VP under RONR have no obligations other than to become President when his resignation is accepted (unless your bylaws have specific vacancy filling provisions for the office of President per RONR p. 575 ll. 9-17). That being said unless the bylaws say otherwise a resignation cannot be accepted except at a meeting of a body which is authorized to accept the resignation. So if he wants out of the job he had better get a Special Meeting called (if the bylaws provide for them) or he will have to wait until the next meeting of the body which is authorized to accept the resignation.

And, sMargaret, to add to Chris H's info you might also check the bylaws to see if the President-Elect becomes the President (and not you) upon his (the current President's) resignation.(p. 457 ll. 22-26)

There's a President-Elect?

Another "Duty of the VP" will be to bone up on proper parliamentary procedure in anticipation of running meetings fairly, efficiently, even entertainingly. And getting finished in two hours or less (or should that be "fewer"?).

Start with

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get it here.

And then go on to "The Right Book"

Also Bookmark this forum for help when you need it!

JDStackpole, I completely agree, and possess both books - indeed, I will even quote from the start of a speech I made on RONR:

"Have you ever been to a meeting that didn’t go well? Did people keep talking when they weren’t supposed to? Did something feel as if it as rammed through, without proper support? Did it take ages and ages to settle something that should have been very simple?

Did you arrive, wanting to do things, and leave, wanting to pound your head against the nearest wall?

I have a solution for you, and it doesn’t involve pounding heads. What it involves is parliamentary procedure, and specifically using Roberts Rules of Order in meetings where people must work together to make some decision. This isn’t something you need when it’s just 3 or 4 people – but every time you get over just a few people, you will see the need for some sort of mutually understood rules."

However, as it turns out, the president of my association decided not to resign at last night's public meeting. I have no idea what he plans to do next.

Archived