The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspended Board Member

Guest President

upon ending of a served suspension, must a member (formerly a board member at time of suspension), ask for reinstatement and be voted back in as a member?

If, as you say, the suspension has ended, why wouldn't you think the member would simply return to his pre-suspension status?

Why would you "reinstate" and "vote back in" a member who wasn't expelled?

Note that these are questions for your organization, not RONR, to answer.

based on a code of conduct violation, per our by laws, the member was suspended for a period of two years.....the 2 years is now up, and he feels he should just be "allowed" to coach again. I have been instructed, as a new president that he needs to ask for reinstatement into the organiztion and be voted back in....i am just looking for confirmation of such, as our by laws seem too gray to say for sure

based on a code of conduct violation, per our by laws, the member was suspended for a period of two years.....the 2 years is now up, and he feels he should just be "allowed" to coach again. I have been instructed, as a new president that he needs to ask for reinstatement into the organiztion and be voted back in....i am just looking for confirmation of such, as our by laws seem too gray to say for sure

As president you will have to make a ruling based on the language of the governing documents, which is subject to appeal.

You should consider the meaning of the word "suspension" as opposed to "expulsion."

Here is sort of a related point involving "suspension ...

In Good Standing:

RONR/11 defines the term "member in good standing" on p. 6 in the footnote as referring to a member whose membership rights are not in suspension, either as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings (Chapter XX) or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws of the organization.

So if you use the phrase "in good standing" in the bylaws, be sure to define exactly what you mean: what causes a member not to be in good standing, what he has to do to get back into the good graces of the association, &c. Also, you should specify which membership rights, duties, privileges, &c. are lost or suspended (or retained) by a member as a consequence of his being in "bad standing" as distinct from his being in good standing or ceasing to be a member at all.

In my humble opinion, if the member was suspended, once the suspension is over then the member is back to his pre-suspension status unless the By-laws specifically state otherwise. As such, I would recommend stating that the members is now a member again. As for the position of "coach" that would be up to the organization to decide.

Archived