The Official RONR Q & A Forums

rescind something previously adopted

Guest mk

A motion was made by a board member, seconded and carried to make the Society's manager an ex officio member of all standing committees. She has been attending those committee meetings.

New board members have been elected and they wish to rescind this motion. It this possible since the manager has been attending meetings?

A motion was made by a board member, seconded and carried to make the Society's manager an ex officio member of all standing committees. She has been attending those committee meetings.

New board members have been elected and they wish to rescind this motion. It this possible since the manager has been attending meetings?

It's questionable whether the board had the authority to adopt such a rule in the first place, but, if the board properly adopted the rule, it can rescind it.

It's questionable whether the board had the authority to adopt such a rule in the first place, but, if the board properly adopted the rule, it can rescind it.

Is it even possible to create an ex officio committee member by a normal motion? Wouldn't something like that need to be put in the bylaws?

I half agree with Alan, which I frequently do when I infrequently know what's good for me. Back half first. Although RONR when talks about ex-officio members, it mostly talks about bylaw provisions having to do with them; but ISTM that there's nothing intrinsically bylaws-level about populating committees.

Hmm, front half simpler now. ISTM that when the bylaws establish a certain committee, if the bylaws cared about how the committee was populated, they'd have said so.

I suspect that the motion would have to be a special rule of order, but I'm vacillating on it.

Hmm, front half simpler now. ISTM that when the bylaws establish a certain committee, if the bylaws cared about how the committee was populated, they'd have said so.

I suspect that the motion would have to be a special rule of order, but I'm vacillating on it.

Could it not be taken that the bylaws did not finish the rules for a committee by saying who the members are. Thus the proper authority for naming members could name an office to the committee making for an ex officio member. A broad resolution naming an office to all standing committees is just filling many with one motion. I do not see any rule being violated.

The question is if the Board has the power to rescind the motion. The answer is yes.

As there is doubt whether or not this motion was legitimate - a new Board member could first raise a Point of Order to question the validity of the motion as the By-laws should allow for this. If the Chairman does not agree, the member could appeal the decision (another member could second the appeal if required) and then have the Board vote on the issue.

Thank you all for your opinions. In order to ensure that the motion is rescinded, would someone please give us point by point, the correct way to rescind the motion?

If you don't need all the detailed 'point by points', RONRIB (RONR In Brief) also covers the motion to rescind, in about two pages (around p. 60, although I don't have the newer version of RONRIB in front of me to give an exact citation).

Could it not be taken that the bylaws did not finish the rules for a committee by saying who the members are. Thus the proper authority for naming members could name an office to the committee making for an ex officio member. A broad resolution naming an office to all standing committees is just filling many with one motion. I do not see any rule being violated.

Hi Dr. Cisar:

My question is can this be done as you described. I'm looking at Robert's, p.579 (line 24) regarding the bylaw article regarding committees: "This section may also provide that certain officers- for example the president - "shall be exofficio a member of all committees except the Nominating Committee." In that case, the president has that right, but not the duty, to participating in the work of the committees. Without such a provision, he has no vote wihtin the committees, nor can he attend their meetings except as invited by a particular committee.

I also realize that perhaps dependent on other bylaws provisions, that the manager may not be an officer of the organization.

Archived